I remember way back when...I was building hi performance VW's and when they were phasing out leaded gas we were all concerned about the unleaded causing us to burn up valves.. Well, it never happened but just as a precaution I always added a lead substitute to my engines.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, when I go skiing I take at least 20 specially prepared small beautifully wrapped gift presents and give them out to the poor lifties.   The nicer ones sometimes give me an 'okaeshi' return pre

Did you get to eat lots of Ginsters pies and pasties? ;)

I did! :D

Especially when they were part of super saver deals (buy 3 get 1 free sort of nonsense) and stoner students (whose halls were next door) didn't get the promotion....ol' Tubby Beaver here kept a chalk score and collected at the end of his shift......score!! (and ay be the reason that I'm Tubby Beaver and not just Beaver!) ;)

We have a Forester with the turbo engine and supposedly we're meant to use Hi-Octane fuel. We never have though. Never had any problems from not using it.

A Mars bar, some Haribo, 10 Silk Cut, and a packet of king size Rizlas please Tubbs!

Depending on your car and the price difference, it can be cheaper to run on hi-oc. There are comments about it in Japanese if you look on google.

I'll have to get someone to look at the Duke then. Hopefully the AT has just got a loose belt or something. If its major, its not getting fixed. Not when I've had my head turned by the Harrier Hybrid. 0 to 100km/h in seven seconds! etc. etc.

A Mars bar, some Haribo, 10 Silk Cut, and a packet of king size Rizlas please Tubbs!

Depending on your car and the price difference, it can be cheaper to run on hi-oc. There are comments about it in Japanese if you look on google.

I'll have to get someone to look at the Duke then. Hopefully the AT has just got a loose belt or something. If its major, its not getting fixed. Not when I've had my head turned by the Harrier Hybrid. 0 to 100km/h in seven seconds! etc. etc.

Ya....a loose belt.... :rollabout:

If you ever want to dump the duke let me know.... How many kms on the beast?

I looked the Duke up and the first version is a three speed AT. The revving is completely normal for that car. There are many comments about it on the Net.

You can tell anyway from the noise, but I think its cool that Mitsubishi went ahead and put a massive rev counter on the dash. They have no shame at all. If this car sounds like its ganbatte-iru, it's because it is ganbatte-iru! Look, four thousand rpm!

I looked the Duke up and the first version is a three speed AT. The revving is completely normal for that car. There are many comments about it on the Net.

You can tell anyway from the noise, but I think its cool that Mitsubishi went ahead and put a massive rev counter on the dash. They have no shame at all. If this car sounds like its ganbatte-iru, it's because it is ganbatte-iru! Look, four thousand rpm!

to make it sound even more manlier, punch a hole in the exhaust.......totally gnarly.....like when you'd jam a kwenchy cup down between the brake bracket and your back tire on ur bike.........you can ride around sounding like you are on a Harley!! VROO<>>>>VROOM!! :party:

to make it sound even more manlier, punch a hole in the exhaust.......totally gnarly.....like when you'd jam a kwenchy cup down between the brake bracket and your back tire on ur bike.........you can ride around sounding like you are on a Harley!! VROO<>>>>VROOM!! :party:

Haha...used to go through a deck of playing cards pretty quick doing that....disregarding the warnings it will loosen the wheel spokes. :lol: Baseball cards were thicker and had a throatier sound but would soften up too quick.. Good times!!

Depends.

In my area there are no self service pumps so I have to let them fill my cars up but with T point catd I get 3 yen discount per litre.

When ever I am in Kofu I go for tje cheapest petrol station which often is not the self service pumps recently.

I really enjoyed the full service stations in Japan, especially during winter in Hokkaido. It felt like a real luxury as they are pretty much non-existent in Australia these days.

Interesting - who uses regular and who uses hi-oc? When should you be using hi-oc?

When you have a turbocharged engine or high compression naturally aspirated engine.

Other than thats its a complete waste of money. When they build an engine they build it to suit a certain quality fuel, if your car has a sticker in the fuel filler area stating 95 or 98 ron you should never use less than that.

Hi octane fuels are designed to stop detonation which is pretty damn rare in a stock engine. If you want to check if your engine is close to detonating on cheap fuel approach a decent hill in a high gear and instead of dropping back a gear just plant your foot on the accellerator. If you hear a rattling sound like a tin can full of marbles being shaken your poor lil engine is detonating.

You can combat this by not putting so much load on the engine or using hi octane fuel.

That used to be a problem years ago before unleaded petrol came out and all cars ran on 4 star or hi octane fuel, some garages had weaker petrol and the (detonation). which actually is called (pinging) in the UK would sometimes happen. So we knew which garages to avoid. Nowadays that is not an issue as pretty much all engines are designed to run on unleaded petrol. But yes like you said if an engine is under high load at low revs and it pings then you know the petrol is not really strong enough.

Yeah we call it pinging in AU too but thats just slang. If you google detonation you will get less photos of wide eyed kids in nightclubs with their jaws clenched :-)

Yeah we call it pinging in AU too but thats just slang. If you google detonation you will get less photos of wide eyed kids in nightclubs with their jaws clenched :-)

That's gurning! :)

Ecto smiles all round

Gas definitely seems more expensive over in northern Nagano than here in our part of Niigata.

We were in Nagano City too yesterday and it was 168, 169 at the self service places by the Minami bypass/Shinanoi. That's no cheaper than Hakuba.