nice one Ger :thumbsup: Was the snow really icy at the top or did it give somewhat?

It gave a little but it was really variable. It was basically chalky up top and in mid-mountain sections it was starting to re-freeze a bit. I expected a nice zone of perfect spring conditions but it was unpredictable. The bottom was probably the best.

Based on what you saw, would it be possible to ski around Mt Fuji. ie start at one point on the top and descend like a cork screw around the mountain.

Based on what you saw, would it be possible to ski around Mt Fuji. ie start at one point on the top and descend like a cork screw around the mountain.

Hmm.... If you really want a challenge, try scouting out a gnarly line down the west face. Try it mid-winter. Naked.

Thanks for sharing.

I noticed Tuesday when I was at Fuji safari that Shizouka side had almost no snow on it.

Yamanashi side is still all white.

Thanks for sharing.

I noticed Tuesday when I was at Fuji safari that Shizouka side had almost no snow on it.

That's because Shizuoka side is south facing, is it not?

Here's a pic of the true south side, taken last Saturday afternoon.

gerard_15.jpg

Here's the parking lot at 2400 meters. There will be snow for a while yet.

gerard_16.JPG

Great job Ger!! I've climbed it with the masses in the summer but would love to have a crack at it on a snowboard! How many boarders did you see there or was it mainly skiers?

Roughly speaking, boarders, people on full length skis and people on mini-skis were evenly split. Mini skis, actually, didn't seem like such a bad option. Never thought I'd say that!

Thanks for sharing.

I guess I don't live in Shizuoka then considering how much snow there is on it now (btw, I do live in Shizuoka!)