It started early this year and had a lot of good PR on this forum with people - what about now that all the other places are open? I'll be off there soon, looking forward to it.

Goryu is less affected by high winds than 47. On bad days, the Goryu gondola stops less often.

47's car park is much bigger though.

On busy days, the walk up the hill from the bottom car park at Goryu is a right pain.

Now everywhere else has opened, it doesn't seem any busier than before. I hope they made lots of money by opening early though. Top marks for effort.

If I may be allowed a moan, this week 47 have handed the daily reports over to someone who prattles on in a cutesy "high-school girl diary" type style about everything except the conditions. Their promotional material is also very heavy on cartoon characters. Combined 47/Goryu is a big resort with something for almost everyone, great snow, great scenery, good access, a wide variety of accomodation, and lots of other resorts up the road for people staying over in Hakuba, so it's sad to see a place with so much going for it descending to the hello-kitty level to appeal to punters.

I am starting to form the opinion that H47 is not so flash. Perhaps it offers fantastic beyond the ropes riding, but of on course stuff, Goryu, Hunter, Arai and Tsugaike are all better. I quite like Gorlyu. If H47 is the newest resort in the Hakuba valley then it needs to take a look at itself - it has crap facilities (ie food, lockers/change rooms, areas in doors to relax and take a break). Of the few places I have now been to it is the last that I would choose for on course riding and facilities.

It was however very good of them to operate do early - it gave me a great kick start to the learning process. It is now officially(?) 2 weeks into the season and yet all that horrible learning to snowboard stuff is behind me, thank god.

47 is called 47 cos there's 47 runs there (altho i seem to remember most of them overlap so there isn't as many runs there as u might think). Personally i think there's way to many cats at all of the hakuba resorts except for maybe cortina. i'd rather go the little extra distance and get to myoko, only about 30 mins further out from nagano city by car - not as steep as sum of the places in hakuba but imho the snow's just as good and there's an 8 k run that leaves ya legs shaking when u get to the bottom. give it a try if u've never been there.

l8rs sk8rs

H47 Is north facing thus it holds stashes longer.

When people talk about 47 they usally are also talking about Goryu too.

Trees are plenty drops are big.

For the other resorts in the area, Happo trees are good when they go off great pillow drops. You can link top to bottom cool runs.

Cortina is better left unsaid.

If your just starting then Iwatake or Tsugaike is fine.

I don't know if he was speaking tongue in cheek but once Ocean said it was called 47 because it meant 4 seasons, 7 days a week (although I don't know what goes on the other 3 months).

===========================

That's the peculiar truth of it.

Ah Ocean 11, why is it that I imagine u with dribble all over you not just your t shirt.

A little tongue in the right place goes a long way, and cheek well!!!!

take it easy.

See u soon.

Seando I agree that run is epic to Goryu but please agree it needs to be rode with care. cause if you make the wrong turn or enterance you will expose yourself to avie danger. If you want to do the run do it with respect. Respect meaning wear avie gear and beware of the early season gullies at the bottom. Dont encourage people to go beyond their limits in a place that should be treated like a backcountry spot.

• 2 weeks later...

They seem to have created lots of goodwill with many people on this forum anyway (whether they'd care much about that is another issue). I wonder if the same goodwill has been created in the main Japanese market?