• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Blond woman goes to the hospital. "What seems to be the problem?" asked the Doctor. "Something is terribly wrong, I keep finding postage stamps from Costa Rica in my Vagina." The Doctor had a lo

The current banking crisis explained by an Irishman.   Young Paddy bought a donkey from a farmer for £100.   The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next day.   The next day he drove up a

This might cheer you up   On a bitterly cold winter morning a husband and wife in Dublin were listening to the radio during breakfast. They heard the announcer say, "We are going to have 8 to 10 i

I've read this about 100 times this week.....

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

• Like 1

Chriselle I am sorry to hear the results. I didn't see that diagnosis coming. Believe me the pain in the wallet will go away and eventually in your heart whatever the out come, it is always important to know you did everything you could for them. Please keep us updated on Ti-kun's progress.

Gozimaas I am so so sorry to hear about your dog.

I am going to give all my babies an extra big hug and kiss now!

Thank you Snowhuntress. Here is the vet's official synopsis. He is a really fantastic physician fluent in both Japanese and English.

Differential diagnoses: Meningomyelitis, spinal cord tumor

Chest and abdominal radiographs: both were unremarkable

Routine blood work: Severely elevated GPT (>1000 IU/L; reference range <100)

Abdominal Ultrasound: Unremarkable

Spinal MRI: This study revealed a focal area in the spinal cord parenchyma around the 4-5th thoracic vertebrae. There was no mass formation or compression of the spinal cord. This type of signal change in MRI was most likely edema or inflammation in the spinal cord. Please check MR images on Page 2 (blue arrows).

Spinal tap: Tio underwent a lumbar spinal tap immediately following the MRI under general anesthesia. Cerebrospinal fluid was successfully collected. His spinal fluid had severely increased white blood cell count (275 cells/uL; reference range <5 cells/uL).

Spinal fluid protein quantity analysis: Pending

Spinal fluid cytology: Pending

At this point, all diagnostics were consistent with meningomyelitis (inflammatory condition in the spinal cord and meninges). While the underlying pathophysiology of Tio’s meningomyelitis is yet to be elucidated, autoimmune reaction, protozoal (Toxoplasma gondii or Neopsora caninum) infection, viral infection, or tick-borne disease such as Ehrlichial infection (extremely rare in Japan) can be considered. Among those possible underlying conditions, we discussed and decided together that medication trial with Clindamycin for possible protozoal infection combined with anti-inflammatory dose of prednisone (corticosteroid) will be a good combination for Tio at this point. We may decide to add another antibiotics (sulfa drug) depending on his response to our trial in 1-2 weeks. As his bloodwork showed severely elevated liver enzyme, please see a local vet for this if his care is to be continued, or if his general condition such as appetite and activity level is not well. We are uncertain the relationship betweeen this liver enzyme elevation and his meningomyelitis.

That's the meat of it.

Thank you Snowhuntress. Here is the vet's official synopsis. He is a really fantastic physician fluent in both Japanese and English.

Spinal MRI: This study revealed a focal area in the spinal cord parenchyma around the 4-5th thoracic vertebrae. There was no mass formation or compression of the spinal cord. This type of signal change in MRI was most likely edema or inflammation in the spinal cord. Please check MR images on Page 2 (blue arrows).

Spinal tap: Tio underwent a lumbar spinal tap immediately following the MRI under general anesthesia. Cerebrospinal fluid was successfully collected. His spinal fluid had severely increased white blood cell count (275 cells/uL; reference range <5 cells/uL).

At this point, all diagnostics were consistent with meningomyelitis (inflammatory condition in the spinal cord and meninges). While the underlying pathophysiology of Tio’s meningomyelitis is yet to be elucidated, autoimmune reaction, protozoal (Toxoplasma gondii or Neopsora caninum) infection, viral infection, or tick-borne disease such as Ehrlichial infection (extremely rare in Japan) can be considered. Among those possible underlying conditions, we discussed and decided together that medication trial with Clindamycin for possible protozoal infection combined with anti-inflammatory dose of prednisone (corticosteroid) will be a good combination for Tio at this point. We may decide to add another antibiotics (sulfa drug) depending on his response to our trial in 1-2 weeks. As his bloodwork showed severely elevated liver enzyme, please see a local vet for this if his care is to be continued, or if his general condition such as appetite and activity level is not well. We are uncertain the relationship betweeen this liver enzyme elevation and his meningomyelitis.

That's the meat of it.

Holy crap, Chriselle, where did you find that vet?

Did he say 'that's the meat of it'?

;)

Hope it goes well. How's he doing today?

Haha...no, that was my addition...

Ah....He's still about the same. We have him in diapers now so we can take a breather from the incontinence.

That's the meat of it.

Holy crap, Chriselle, where did you find that vet?

Ya...He's pretty awesome. Found him through a vet in Tokyo we went to when we first got Tio. His name is Shinichi Kanazono and he's at the Synergy Animal Hospital in Saitama/Tokyo. His report was 5 pages in both Japanese and English and he still sends us emails asking about Tio's progress. My wife commented on how impressive his Japanese was as well. He did all of his spinal cord and nerve research in the US and had just returned to Japan 6 months ago. If you need a vet for anything serious he's the dude. Linky..

http://www.syn.ne.jp/hospital/about.html

In the midst of all your hilarity and fabulously clever humour (well, for you anyway), I'm a bit confused Go Native.

Do you recommend our friends bury their beloved pets in the ground or stuff them?

GN...sounds a bit like my uncle. He's a rough, gruff, grizzled old navy guy who manly boasts that he takes his dogs out in the bush and shoots them when it's their time. He most certainly does it and I admire him for his practical responsibility...but I know it's really hard on him to do.

Oh ya....He is being totally amazing about everything. He sent me an email today asking for me to send a video of Tio after one week to see how he's progressing. He's a Border Collie owner, too and said Tio is the most handsome Border he's ever seen and is hell bent on saving him. So maybe there's a bit of bias there .... but I don't think so..

Actually, every vet we've had has been very good so far but not quite like this fellow. We are definitely getting our moneys worth.

Tio is now a pretty solid "trio" as his left hind leg has come around quite well. The right...not so much yet. Also, he's genki as hell today. I don't think he'll ever be a competition dog like we had planned but hey...I can always add another Border for all that.... ;)

We've had dogs in the past before we went to live in Japan and when I grew up we always had dogs. I've never quite had this connection with them though that some of you seem to. I just can't seem to get really emotionally involved with something I can't even have a conversation with.

I absolutely understand. Until this dog I was the same. Maybe it's this stage of my life... Maybe it's the daily hours and hours of training together.. Maybe its the feel good factor that his entire reason for being is to make me happy... I don't know... i have a cat as well but if that thing ever gets sick it gets a $100 budget....anything beyond that it's going to get the needle.

Anyway, ganmba T-kun...

DSC_0052_zps7c058186.jpg