• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss mature cheder cheeses you know the ones that are slightly crumbly they are so mature.

Japanese cheese sucks big time its like eating soft rubber with no taste.

Although they do have the odd cheese that is okay-ish.

And when you do fimd some decent cheese they costs a small fortune.

Yes I know Costco has some nice cheese, but the nearest one is about a 3 hour drive for us, so usually only go there occasionally, but yeah I should make a trip there sometime.

But I was talking more about the general shops in Japan just don't stock good cheese.

It's about a 3 hour drive for us as well. We usually make the journey every other month or so to load up. They had a nice stainless gas BBQ there last week but figured I'd better hold off to see what the vet bill today is going to cost us. Ka-Ching Ka-Ching $$$$. Did get a couple cheese bricks and some nice steaks.

I saw that BBQ too. Good value that! Was going to get it but wasn't sure about connectors/adapters for the propane lines. I've done a little research since then and it seems that it's possible to get everything here.

A fantastic atmospheric pub serving a selection of local (and maybe not so local) special ales, down by the side of the canal with chairs and tables outside on a lovely summers evening.

And pork scratchings sold at the bar, if you really must!

Lancashire hotpot is a dish made traditionally from lamb or mutton and onion, topped with sliced potatoes, left to bake in the oven all day in a heavy pot and on a low heat. Originating in the days of heavy industrialisation in Lancashire in the North West of England, it requires a minimum of effort to prepare.

Preparation techniques:

There are many regional variations. It is frequently found listed amongst the usual pub grub dishes in hostelries around Britain. The basic recipe consists of a mix of lamb and vegetables (carrot, turnip, potatoes, onions or leeks) covered with sliced potato. Sometimes lamb kidneys are included in the dish. Modern variants may use beef or bacon chops instead of lamb, or have a pastry topping. As much food can be added as will fit in the pot.

The traditional recipe once included oysters, but increasing cost eliminated them from common usage. Pickled red cabbage or beetroot are often served as an accompaniment. In some areas Lancashire cheese is also served with the dish.

Flavouring:

Flavour can be enhanced with seasoning; salt and pepper would be the most traditional, and any other ingredients available in the kitchen. Some stock is usually added to cover the contents while it cooks, though some recipes rely on a well-sealed pot on a low heat to retain enough moisture within the meat, onion and potato.

The hot pot:

The hot pot referred to is a pottery dish used to cook casseroles in British cuisine.

In popular culture:

Coronation Street character Betty Turpin (portrayed by Betty Driver) was famous for her version of the dish which was served in the fictional Rovers Return Inn. A frozen food range has been endorsed by Betty. In 2008, British food retailer Tesco called Lancashire hotpot one of the most endangered recipes in British cuisine.[2]

It was also mentioned in Wallace and Gromit by Wallace to Gromit as a means of comfort in a seemingly uncomfortable situation

Hotpot is referred to in the dark fantasy series The Wardstone Chronicles by British author Joseph Delaney as a family meal eaten in rural England.