Didn't they see the news this morning? An octopus from SHIKOKU, that can kill people, has been found in a Kanagawa for the first time

lol yeah, those keep us on edge down here!

• 1 month later...

BEAVERS!!

More proof that beavers are scarier than sharks: A kayaker in Upstate New York was hospitalized after being attacked by a beaver in Irondequoit Creek last week.

Michael Cavanaugh was knocked into the water when the beaver jumped out of the creek and started mauling him, biting him on his back and arm.

"I heard my name called out from the shop and I ran out the door to see a guy getting pulled into the water," a trainer at BayCreek Paddling Center tells WHAM.

"It was like watching a horror film." Cavanaugh was able to get to the dock, but the beaver wouldn't let go, so the trainer started hitting him with a paddle until the paddle broke and the beaver finally retreated.

"He kind of disappeared for a few seconds but came back up so I hit him again," the trainer says. "It's absolutely first of a kind," says the paddling center's owner, adding that "the beaver was upset for some reason, we don't know." Cavanaugh is being treated for rabies as a precaution—experts say beaver attacks on humans are rare, and most are either a result of rabies or a beaver trying to protect its offspring.

"Though the event was scary I haven't felt much in the way of traumatic emotional reactions which I'm thankful for," says Cavanaugh in a statement. The beaver's carcass was found, and is being tested for rabies.

Also last week, a couple in New Jersey say they were attacked by a beaver while walking by Lake Surprise, the Star-Ledger reports. The 40-pound animal chased them with teeth bared, they say, but finally retreated back to the water after almost biting the husband.

And yet more proof!

Forget sharks: It's beavers that are truly terrifying. A fisherman in Belarus was bitten to death by one, and all he was doing was trying to take its picture, Sky News reports. The man spotted the beaver while fishing with friends at Lake Shestakov, but as he approached to take a photograph, the beaver bit him on the thigh. The animal managed to sever an artery, and his friends couldn't stop the blood flow.

Sky News helpfully reminds us that beavers can, of course, bite through trees. Beaver attacks are rare, though, and when they do occur, rabid beavers are generally to blame (as in this 2012 attack in upstate New York). But just this week, a video was posted on YouTube showing a beaver going after a Russian man, reports the Telegraph, and two girls were seriously injured after being mauled by a beaver in Virginia last year. In similar news with a happier ending, the AFP reports that a Komodo dragon "sunk its teeth into" an 83-year-old Indonesian woman on Tuesday—but she was able to fend it off.