going to be staying in hakuba over new years and not sure if everything shuts down for the day in town or are most of the shops open? -would be a good day to look around with the kids if everything is. thanks

thanks everyone

not sure what I was expecting I thought it had locals living there all year round so would have clothes shops and just general shops that the locals would use that might be different than in Australia?

There is a 2 shops worth a visit in Otari. There is a Pastry shop which sells great pastries and breads and bread rolls. Plus there is a second hand shop with great collectables to choose from. I make i a point to drop in each time I drive pass. It has array of old japanese items from taxidermy of local wild life to early 1900 fireman helmet. It is my favourite shop in the hakuba valley area

• Like 1

It has array of old japanese items from taxidermy of local wild life to early 1900 fireman helmet.

That sounds brilliant, John-San. I hope they haven't sold the 1900 fireman helmet before I get there.

It has array of old japanese items from taxidermy of local wild life to early 1900 fireman helmet.

That sounds brilliant, John-San. I hope they haven't sold the 1900 fireman helmet before I get there.

dou itashimashita

There are a fair few shops selling outdoor gear, ski/board wear, skis, boards, bc gear etc. Boards aren't discounted like in Tokyo, but you can get some very high end ones which don't get that heavily discounted anyway midseason. For clothing, the Patagonia and Obermeyer outlets might be cheaper than buying their stuff in Australia.

If its regular shopping you're talking about, New Years Day isn't that crowded on the hill, so I'd go skiing and go shopping another day in Tokyo or whichever big city you're flying into.

My budget barely stretches to underwear from either!

Obermeyer is directly aimed at the o/s market, so they'll have big sizes for sure. I don't think Patagonia has things made under licence in Japan, unlike say North Face, so most of their sizes will be US sizes, albeit for outdoor gear which is worn much more snug than what snowboarding dudes wear. By the sound of things, some Japanese women wear kids' sizes.

Patagonia is an outlet and seems to sell a lot more small and x-small and xxl sizes than say medium and large.

I heard through the "grapevine" that another large outdoor brand will be opening a store in Hakuba this year.

Out of curiosity, do they actually do underwear? :lol:

Brand underwear. No, never got that idea.

Its what "I am serious about this mountains lark" people call "base layers". It's underwear to me :grandpa: ;)

Patagonia's are way better than Uniqlo's heat tech and probably worth it even at four times the price. They're warmer, more breathable, wash better, and the sleeves are long enough. I don't think their fleeces are worth fifteen times the price though.