There are two main ways of coming down a hill at a skijo, ski or snowboard. I'm a reasonably good skier, and given the number of days each year I can get out that probably won't improve. Given that I'll never be a great skier I thought I might learn to snowboard. Not that I would stop skiing, it would be so I could do both. Get twice the fun out of the few days I get to the snow. The idea is that in a few years I would ski when it's icey and no powder, and board when there's a bit of powder.

So I searched the net for all the info I thought I would need, and one thing stood out. Buy the boots first. To this end I tried on some boots last Monday. After wandering round Kanda and finding nothing in my size, I went to the Burton shop near Shibuya. Tried on a pair of size 12's. They were a bit tight at the front. My toes touched the ends.

Now the question. I wear size 12.5 shoes, the 12 Snowboard boots were a bit tight, will they pack out enough to be a good fit, or should I go to a 12.5. This would mean going to a Salomon, as they are the only brand I have found that do a 12.5.

I always buy my boots so that they fit.......the liner will pack out.....eventually, but I don't wanna have sore and crumpled toes until they do. I'm a US 10, which means I can get shoes to fit me here pretty easily. I actually went into Sports Depot to try a bunch on, then when I saw a pair I liked I had a search online and bought them for cheaper......this time on Rakuten, so it was nice not to have to pay the extra costs bringing them over from the US

Snowboards boots pack out quite a bit. I would recommend something that feels too tight to begin with if you wish to have a good fit down tge track.

Comfy in the shop =heel lift later on.

But it all depends on how many times you use them in a season.......if you are out 50 plus days then it might be a problem for that season, if you only get out 10 days then those boots will still last many seasons......as my previous ones did. When I buy them, they aren't roomy, they are a snug fit, but there is no discomfort or pain in the toes

My boots pack out in about 10 days. I wore size 11 boots for years, they fit great at the start but end up sloppy. Now I ride in 10s and they hurt for a few days but end up perfect. I bought another pair of 10s cheap and I plan on breaking them in slowly, only riding them every second or third day to minimise the pain ;-)

My Burton Hails were tight on the toes and never packed out after approx 30days of riding not uncomfortable riding but uncomfortable walking it maybe a Burton thing with the reduced footprint not ridden any other boots

Snowboards boots pack out quite a bit. I would recommend something that feels too tight to begin with if you wish to have a good fit down tge track.

Comfy in the shop =heel lift later on.

I agree with this.

Welcome to the dark side onehunga!! :clap: Obviously you saw the light at our grail day at Granview ;)

As for boots, I'd agree with what's been said above about going for a tighter fit. In an ideal world you would try the boots on and then strap yourself onto a board, because that's going to feel and fit differently to just walking around a shop. With my first pair of boots (Burton) I made the mistake of buying a pair that was confortable instore but ended up with heel lift problems on the slopes. My next pair (Salomon) were better but with my last ones, I actually went down a size so that my big toe rubs/hurts a bit when I walk but is a perfect fit when riding. Hope that helps! :wave: