No, not tasty foods but the スナック kind of drinking bar in Japan.

You know the type, small poky place, mamasan, bottle keep, karaoke.

Does anyone here actually like those places?

Natsukashii!

Haven't been to one of them for ages.

I remember hating them and their mad prices and yucky 'wtf is that' food they put in little dishes when you go.

There was one that I used to like in my town actually.

Met a few fun people there including a girlfriend. :evilgrin:

It was a more modern take on the idea rather than the old obasan in the kimino etc. Can't say I'm keen on them.

Gone now unfortunately.

Went out with a load of friends the other week to a place that was honestly more of an izekaya, but had a hostess owner. We ended up being charged over 6000 yen each for just an hour and a half.

We aren't going there again.

So wasn't that little limp bit of pickled cucumber next to the small bit of dried squid worth 1000 yen?!

Got to remember the 'entry charge', you know the privelege to enter.

That means 4000 yen for 3 beers.

And free karaoke!

Sounds pretty good value to me.

had a bit of an argument at a local bar last night over my bill. Happy hour is 5pm-7pm and they run a nomihodai for 1500¥, down 500 from the normal price of 2000¥. Everyone must buy 1 dish so it comes out to be a minimum of 2k each......of course when we got the bill it wasn't around 2k each and they'd charged us the full amount for the nomi. Sure its only 500¥ extra, but it really annoys me that they try and rip people off like that, so I questioned the bill (of which they said they couldn't give us a receipt.....wtf?!), when I pointed out that they'd charged 2000¥ instead of 1500 they said......"ahhhhh!! Did you say at the start that it was happy hour??" (we came in at 5:05pm).....me: umm...no......."Ah well, you have to to get he discount!" WTF?!? For 1 it doesn't say that on your sign, 2.....it was 5:05, WTF did you think we were doing in your pokey little bar at that time for?!?

Needless to say we did get refunded the extra money, not a huge amount, but it just winds me up when they try and pull shit like this

had a bit of an argument at a local bar last night over my bill. Happy hour is 5pm-7pm and they run a nomihodai for 1500¥, down 500 from the normal price of 2000¥. Everyone must buy 1 dish so it comes out to be a minimum of 2k each......of course when we got the bill it wasn't around 2k each and they'd charged us the full amount for the nomi. Sure its only 500¥ extra, but it really annoys me that they try and rip people off like that, so I questioned the bill (of which they said they couldn't give us a receipt.....wtf?!), when I pointed out that they'd charged 2000¥ instead of 1500 they said......"ahhhhh!! Did you say at the start that it was happy hour??" (we came in at 5:05pm).....me: umm...no......."Ah well, you have to to get he discount!" WTF?!? For 1 it doesn't say that on your sign, 2.....it was 5:05, WTF did you think we were doing in your pokey little bar at that time for?!?

Needless to say we did get refunded the extra money, not a huge amount, but it just winds me up when they try and pull shit like this

Best not hit up a snack in Roppongi then Tubby... ;)

It's the no receipt thing that gets me. And they write down 4000 yen on a piece of paper as if you're supposed to accept it without knowing what it's all for.

I'm sure some are honest, but it just reeks of rip off to me.

I avoid those places.

I think the fact that people just accept it without questioning annoys me almost as much as the price and practice itself.

Ok...you be annoyed at that.. I'll be annoyed at the apathy towards the little things....like citizen tax, car tax, shaken and highway tolls... ;) :wave: