If I was to deposit a sum of money from Australia into my Japanese girlfriends japanese bank account for a few days would the japanese tax man want to get his hands on it?

When I have sent money from overseas to my bank, they have called me to ask about it.

I tell them it's my money, so I am sending it to myself. That seems to work and I have never had any tax issues with it.

That might be worth trying.

Of course if it's just 500 yen or some other rubbish sum, the tax man simply will not be interested in such a measly amount. And you should give it to Abe anyway.

:thumbsup:

We've transferred large amounts of money from Aus to our Japanese bank account without any tax implications for us in Japan. But obviously that was our own money that we'd paid tax on in Aus transferred to our own account in Japan. There may be some gift tax issues though with sending money from Aus into another person's account in Japan. As it may affect your girlfriend's tax get her to contact the tax office or her bank to check on any possible implications.

You could transfer it into my Japanese account. I'll look after for you! ;)

There's a tax called jou-yo-zei on gifts if they exceed a certain amount. The kanji is 贈与税

If you are getting it back or buying a car or something else big in your name with it, it might be easier to call it a loan.

i have a plan send the money to my tax haven in the Bahamas then i will release it to you drip feeding over a period of a few years.

Worst case scenario I make heaps and you don't ;)