How much of your net salary do you manage to save?

Interested to hear. On average over a year say.

I manage about 20%, though wish I could do more.

Obviously 20% of not that much isn't a great deal, so the % number takes out any potential boasting (or otherwise!!), but we can all only work with what we got! :(

Varies a lot, but if there's no big purchases needed or plane tickets, I usually try to save about 20%.

Not huge numbers unfortunately, but it adds up.

Last financial year we managed to save about 30%. We just bought the 40 acre property that our nursery business is situated on though so there's not a lot of spare change in the coffers at the moment. Still had enough left over though to book our next Japan skiing holiday! :thumbsup:

We bank and invest around 80% of my wife's income... and live off mine. Even with that I manage to save on average about 50% of it. Depends on the time of the year as one business surges sharply in the spring and fall but performs less the rest of the year.

I don't realy save all that much because I try to invest as much as I can. As Cal pointed out, the interest from Japanese bank accounts is a joke so there is not too much point in putting your money there.

I have no idea.

Ours is a twenty-year loan, so I think we might be paying it down faster than the house is falling in value. :banner:

With folks on the thirty-five-year ones, I wouldn't be so sure.

I found an interesting chart released by the J-gov about average monthly household expenditures and was surprised to see that housing was only listed at 12,000¥/month. Turns out it's because paying down a mortgage is considered transferring assets rather than an expense. That means that the largest monthly expenditure is food, which tends to be 3 or 4 on the list in most countries. What an interesting story, eh! :wave:

I found an interesting chart released by the J-gov about average monthly household expenditures and was surprised to see that housing was only listed at 12,000¥/month. Turns out it's because paying down a mortgage is considered transferring assets rather than an expense.

Really, that little? Including the interest part of the mortgage payment?

(I assume the asset transfer refers only to the principal payment part?)

And that is averaging in all the people who pay rent?