Hakuba and Myoko were unfortunately... disappointing

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sapporo did pretty well this year.....even when Niseko and Rusutsu were struggling for snow, Teine had freshies

I think some people really do get lost and so used to their bull that they actually start to believe it themselves and just can't help spouting it out. Sadly.

I don't think any of us are in Japan, John-San.   For example, I'm in Mold.

This is poor February. This year. (And this was on a particularly "good" day!)

gallery_4338_85_121344.jpg

This is average February. Not this year.

gallery_6744_85_107726.jpg

great pics, i was in Goryu in Jan,. But had nothing to compare to.. still had fun..

February may have been crap on the western side of Japan, but it was bloody good in Yamanashi, so much so that the ski resorts were all closed for about 3 days until they could move and clear enough snow to get to the resorts to clear them so that they could open. Conditions were epic throughout February and pretty much most of March too!

Wait, I'm confused. Do big snow storms in Tokyo, Yamanashi or even Takayama mean good conditions in ski resorts in Nagano and Niigata?

The answer is NO, by the way!

February on the island of Japan was below average. No denying it.

For some of us, it all about quality not quantity. There are comment of about how much snow February received. When you have lived in Japan for years and work in the snowsport industry you prefer the big dump to coincide with no crowds. I had both when I went boarding on the 10th and the19th. Both days were totally epic with 1 meter plus of powder with no crowds. I only had two days off in Feburay and both were the 10th and the 19th. The 19th was the best ever I had boarding. Yes February was poor for but I will always remember the 19th of Feb 2014 at Norikura. Last year January had a 10 day period of no snow at all between 13th and the 23rd in Hakuba Valley plus crowd. Last January at Goryu they were running the snowmakers some nights on the bottom main run. But on the 24th to 25th the top gondola station at Iwatake receive 2 meters plus in a 24 hour period. This made 2013 January snow depth look reasonable