Hakuba and Myoko were unfortunately... disappointing

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sapporo did pretty well this year.....even when Niseko and Rusutsu were struggling for snow, Teine had freshies

I think some people really do get lost and so used to their bull that they actually start to believe it themselves and just can't help spouting it out. Sadly.

I don't think any of us are in Japan, John-San.   For example, I'm in Mold.

What is this about poor snow in February. I have never had so much snow. I got snow in at Tokyo station two times. The 6th and the 15th. I got done by a avalanche while driving from Matsomoto to Takayama on the 9th. I had my best powder day ever on my birthday 19th. Were these people complaining about the snow actually in Japan? It dump snow in Takayama 5 times in Apirl but February was the best condition Takayama has had in a decade.

Tokyo ( located on an island ) definitely got a mega dump on the 8th Feb - 30cm reported, and we scored first tracks in bottomless pow while our plane made its way to the terminal on the airport taxi-ways when we arrived at 6am on the 9th Feb !!!

Unfortunately this mega dump would have been much more welcome had it hit the resort, as it meant we were stuck in Narita for 14 hrs with no flights leaving for Sapporo ( which is located on a separate island - nonetheless, still located on an island..... ) , before the trains started moving again and we managed to get a 3 and a half hour train ride into Kawasaki ( located on the afore mentioned island - the one with Tokyo on it )

Tokyo ( located on an island ) definitely got a mega dump on the 8th Feb - 30cm reported, and we scored first tracks in bottomless pow while our plane made its way to the terminal on the airport taxi-ways when we arrived at 6am on the 9th Feb !!!

Unfortunately this mega dump would have been much more welcome had it hit the resort, as it meant we were stuck in Narita for 14 hrs with no flights leaving for Sapporo ( which is located on a separate island - nonetheless, still located on an island..... ) , before the trains started moving again and we managed to get a 3 and a half hour train ride into Kawasaki ( located on the afore mentioned island - the one with Tokyo on it )

Quite funny to read "mega dump of 30cm"! I guess for Tokyo it is mega, for where I live and for many snowy places around Japan that is usual to get that amount or more each time it snows. We on the other hand did however, have a mega dump of 1 metre on the 8th in less than 24hrs followed by the next week of 2 metres in about 24 hours!

I detect some sarcasm in there.

Well yes... and no - It was a record dump....... for Tokyo ( i recall the news reports saying biggest in maybe 15 - 20 years ? )

As I said though, would rather have had it at the resort. Not a great trip statistic when the biggest dump you get while on your holiday is at Narita airport

Feb was a bad month? I thought it was an incredible month. Two weekends of huge snow dumps. The only problem we had was getting there to enjoy it. Also, the snow dumps happened on the weekend, so the pristine sunny weather was over the weekdays while I was camped away inside, slaving at work. I will be more organized next year, however, and hit the slopes earlier. Going earlier is better than later. Looking forwards to taking up the slopes while everyone's getting their drink on over the New Year holidays.

Where was it incredible in February, andy63?

:confused:

Somewhere on the island of Japan?

I had a good time up in Miyoko on the 22nd of Feb. The snow was plentiful and fluffy as cotton. Prior to that, there were two snow storms that blew through Tokyo that boggled things down so no one was able to get out. The days following the snowstorms were clear and sunny, but I was stuck in the city unfortunately. Maybe you guys have had an even more incredible time.

2014-02-22%2008.01.30.jpg

February was so incredible(ly rubbish) in this part of Niigata that I went skiing twice in the whole month! And I live 5 minutes drive from the nearest lift. Saw no reason to drive over to Nozawa or Myoko or anywhere in Gunma either. That's how much I was not interested.

Have we already downgraded from 'incredible' to 'good'?

:confused:

The storms that blew threw Tokyo didn't bring that much to the places that mattered.

LOL

Well, I questioned how my incredible compares to your incredible. :lol:

It's all relative, I guess. I'd like to hear your incredible stories sometime.

It may all be relative, but you've got to be seriously stretching things to think that February was incredible.

The overwhelmingly general consensus from people there (* the honest ones!) and visiting was that it was poor, certainly below average, in many of the popular regions on the island of Japan.

It may all be relative, but you've got to be seriously stretching things to think that February was incredible.

The overwhelmingly general consensus from people there (* the honest ones!) and visiting was that it was poor, certainly below average, in many of the popular regions on the island of Japan.

I'm thinking you're right.

I'm still a newbie here with a lot to figure out. One day, I'll be up to your level. Haha! Let's just say I had a good trip in Feb. Can't wait to see what next year will bring then.

This is poor February. This year. (And this was on a particularly "good" day!)

gallery_4338_85_121344.jpg

This is average February. Not this year.

gallery_6744_85_107726.jpg

I'm starting to see the bigger picture here....

Thanks merryJIM. :friend: