Hakuba and Myoko were unfortunately... disappointing

Hi :wave:

It was my first time in Japan and I was stoked about the awesome tales of bottomless-ness and the like.

But I was very disappointed with snow conditions. I hit Japan in February during a particularly dry spell and honestly it fell way short of expectations.

I can definitely see the potential so maybe I have to get back. But if you hit poor in February, when is less of a risk? Mid January?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sapporo did pretty well this year.....even when Niseko and Rusutsu were struggling for snow, Teine had freshies

I think some people really do get lost and so used to their bull that they actually start to believe it themselves and just can't help spouting it out. Sadly.

I don't think any of us are in Japan, John-San.   For example, I'm in Mold.

Yeah strange February this year last year was epic and I was their in January and should have done January this year who knows going Mid December with no expectations just hope it happens

Feb was very good here we got more than 3 metres of snow in feb alone plenty of deep pow.

Actually pretty much the whole winter was good here.

I think you were just unlucky a normal year you would have much better conditions.

Anyone, feeling let down by this season can blame Snowdude or at least the vortex that seemed to suck in all of the snow clouds from the region to his vicinity.

I know you are not gloating, just stating the facts, but still...

You were posting about nice snow fall right through from about mid December if memory serves me correctly.

Jealousy is a terrible thing. I am happy for you man really. :angry:

Who cares how much snow there was in Yamanashi in February? If you went there from the US on a ski trip you'd want to shoot yourself from boredom after 15 minutes, even with 40cm of fresh every day. February sucked in most places, which is not the norm but unfortunately does happen. Middle to end of January is usually pretty good too... in any event, if the weather doesn't cooperate it doesn't matter what time of year it is.

2014 was shit in comparison to most years. Just go back and you will get it good. This year ended up with decent totals but it was stilla shit season. 3 weeks of nothing and then a 2m dump makes the totals look good but doesnt make for a good season. 99% of people got skunked in 2014 so dont think it was just you, we all felt the pain ;-)

That bloke from Hakuba deserves a kick up the ass for being a downright lying bastard.

Yes no doubt there were some 'awesome' moments (trains and airports shut down etc) but he did not mention a 9 day period in with no significant snowfall and then a day and a half of continious heavy rain that turned the valley to sheet shit ice for a few days after.

I think it's time for one of my research projects.

Ask accommodation providers what snow conditions are usually like in February and specifically how it was this last season.

Posing as someone who knows nothing about Japan.

Let's see how much bollocks I get told.

:thumbsup:

(It's not all playing games. I will cross off the bullshitters from my list of places I consider staying. I dislike dishonesty).

A response.

Copy and pasted for your entertainment. I shit you not.

-------

February is peak season and always an awesome time to visit Hakuba with excellent snow conditions, guaranteed regular snowfalls, lively nightlife and a great atmosphere.

As it is peak season it is recommended to book early while there is still availability.

-------

Sounds Abetastic!

I think I might have to BOOK NOW, to avoid any disappointment.

I hope that is a money-back guarantee! Just in case.

From my perspective as viewed from afar ( very afar actually ) there were a couple of things which appear to have made this season a bit less than epic overall, especially when compared with last year (for Niseko at least)

Bearing in mind that I only spent 2 weeks "in country" around early- mid Feb, both this year and last year, I do obsessively read the Now Reports, Mike Pow's season report and daily avalanche info.

Things that really stood out for me this season as viewed onlline from Aus, and 2 weeks on the snow are:

1) Early season - a couple of good dumps in November followed by rain which obliterated the early base, meaning the resorts opened a week later than planned = NOT GOOD

2) January seemed to be blasting but then around the last week the taps seemed to turn right down through into early Feb. = NOT EPIC

3) My stay this year was summed up by the phrase "when is it going the snow for real so we can get some pow instead of sliding on this crusty and chopped up base ?!?!?!?" While I was there they even groomed Misoshiru FFS cause it was so cut up they would have had to re-name the run "Mogul-Shiru" and re-print all of the trail maps = NOT EPIC

5) Snowfall totals are well down on last year - Now reports this year at end of march showed season total of 1150cm compared with 1549cm last year IE this year had only 74% of the amount received last year - Feb in particular seemed to cop a drought - 178cm this year vs 406cm last year ( A mere 43% of last Feb !!!!!!!!!! ) = NOT GOOD, NOT GOOD, NOT GOOD, and certainly NOT EPIC.

Don't get me wrong - I don't want to seem like I am saying it was all Doom and Gloom - while I was there this year we did get some snowfall towards the end of my trip, though the first week we were struggling to break the 10-15cm mark which is nice but surely not EPIC. I did have an absolute blast but compared with last year it was no contest ( I acknowledge that is the randomness of weather over a given 2 weeks, not representative of an entire season )

Interestingly, while riding the lifts /gondolas during that first week I spoke with several groups of folks on their first trip over who were buzzing and excitedly saying "Yeah, WOW !! it's Amazing!! All the locals are saying this is the best season ever!!!!! " so the hype factor was definitely on par with what you would expect.... easily as high as it was last year ;)

My wife and I arrived at Goryu on Sunday 19th Jan 2014, light snow for the first 2 days then nothing until the day we left 7 days later. Not what I had expected BUT, we had the best friggen holiday of our lives. We loved the valley,friendly people,food,lack of crowds, the guy sweeping the chairs every time we got on a lift, local train rides,the elderly women who made sure we where ready when the train arrived and that we stood at the right spot on the platform to take us from Goryu to Hakuba, and who we then bumped into at the supermarket and came up to us with a big smile before she left and gave me a high 5, all this and not a word of english.., bullet train to Nagano, Tokyo. And too much more to mention.

It was our first trip to Japan, I expected a bit more snow but coming from Australia we had no complaints, I guess its all relative.

WE WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR.., just not sure which area to try, maybe Myoko.

Id like to thank Snow japan, forums, and members for all the great advise we received the year before we left, You helped me immensley...Thank you (arrigoto)

If there are any first time travelers who want any info from a first timer, im happy to help.

Manfred.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Sounds like if you are coming from Australia for the first time, even really crappy Japan conditions somehow satisfy. I would guess that the 'being in Japan' thing has a lot to do with general enjoyment. It is after all a different experience.

Those of us that live here or visit regularly are probably just a bit spoilt! And should probably appreciate how lucky we are more. :friend:

Still, it doesn't take away from the fact that it was a generally (well) below average season in terms of snow in lots of/most places.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Sounds like if you are coming from Australia for the first time, even really crappy Japan conditions somehow satisfy. I would guess that the 'being in Japan' thing has a lot to do with general enjoyment. It is after all a different experience.

Those of us that live here or visit regularly are probably just a bit spoilt! And should probably appreciate how lucky we are more. :friend:

Still, it doesn't take away from the fact that it was a generally (well) below average season in terms of snow in lots of/most places.

I willing to give it another chance, your right the Japan experience helped. I did find the snow a bit disapointing, very chopped up and fell and hurt my wrist on the first day catching a pole with my ski..crash...