My Windows 7 machine is an unholy mess. I'm terrible at keeping things in one place.

I want to back up the whole thing, as is. Just in case, coz it's getting old.

There's 350GB of it.

What do you use to do something like this?

Simple and as non technical as possible is good.

Looking forward to ideas!

Buy yourself an external hard drive one of those little compact 1 or 2GB of storage plug it into your USB 3 as that is 10x faster at data transfering than USB 2.

You have to instal the hard drive drivers which comes on a CD.

The utilities is up to you.

Then you either use the back up utility surplied or simply drag and drop the files you want.

It is very simple to do.

The problem is I don't know where all of my stuff actually is.

(Where the heck are my email files, I use Outlook).

And it is not simple to drag and drop 350GB worth of stuff.

If it were, I'd be doing that.

:(

Buy yourself an external hard drive one of those little compact 1 or 2GB of storage plug it into your USB 3 as that is 10x faster at data transfering than USB 2.

Then you either use the back up utility surplied or simply drag and drop the files you want.

It is very simple to do.

That'll be plenty for you Snowdude.... :wave:

northstar0024t.jpg

• Like 1

The problem is I don't know where all of my stuff actually is.

(Where the heck are my email files, I use Outlook).

And it is not simple to drag and drop 350GB worth of stuff.

If it were, I'd be doing that.

:(

The hard drives come with software to do exactly that back up your computer.

If you have norton you can also use it to back up to external drives.

Dragging and dropping is easy even if you have a lot of data.

Just drop the entire folder/s regardless of the size of the files/data and it will automatically transfer it.

It may take sometime depending o the speed of your computer but you can just leave go have a cup of tea and come back when it is finished.

Veey simple there is no need to do each file indivually just do entire folders.

Or if you have many seperate files for example hundreds of photos not in a folder just simply hilight all the files in one go and drag them to the external drive in one go.

350mb is not that much it would not take many minutes to drop and drag all of it if you are not using software to do it.

I have 25 GB of photos alone on my computer and I drag and dropped them.

Mr Octopus. I would use something like Genie to do what you want. As you pointed out, stuff is often all over the place and not at all clear where it is. (For example all your emails in Outlook). If you use some software that does it for you, it will lessen the headaches.

It is very simple to do.

northstar0024t.jpg

Haha.

I have two 1 Terabyte hard drives.

18mb would would only hold about 6 photos from my smartphone!!

I back my laptop up reasonably regularly, I have one 3 TB hard drive, three 1 TB hard drives and two 500 GB drives. All just about full.

Easiest way to back up correctly is to plan your install well. Make two drives, C for the O/s and D for data. Then you just have to move everything on D drive to your backup disk. Outlook stores the email in a PST file. Move this to the D drive then point outlook at it. To ensure you back up outlook correctly use the export function to export everything to a backup PST file.

Do you have a PC or a laptop, if it's a laptop and you don't mind a train trip to Yokohama, you could bring it to Totsuka one day and I can help you out.

It is very simple to do.

northstar0024t.jpg

640k would be plenty for anybody. <- Bill Gates

I have the mornings and part of the afternoon free, kids are at school. Weekends aren't that busy either. If it all fails let me know.

This would be good. Is it possible:

Connect a HDD to my existing notebook.

Have it so that every file I save automatically also gets saved to the HDD. (So I have an instant backup)

?

Yes. It does only save once an hour. But you can drag and drop (or save directly) files into Time Capsule if that is what you use to back up your computer. So effectively you can do as ug wanted as long as you run a Mac with Time Machine software and Time Capsule as your back up drive. You can also partition the Time Capsule backup to save different things at different points as you go.

Been messing about the Genie the last few days and got it to now keep up to date every hour.

Before I had it on an overheating machine and it was causing real problems but it seems to be running smoothly now and not affecting performance.

So basically it is like Time Machine.