• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honda scores for Japan.   We should Accord him some praise for the goal.   Maybe give him a Civic reception when he gets home.   He seems to be in his Element at the world cup.   Obviously wea

I wrote this just now:   The Metatarsal Scare   The beginning of an England World Cup campaign is traditionally heralded by a metatarsal scare. For Brazil 2014, Roy Hodgson found himself sweating

Yeah there definitely was English commentary last time.....what channels are showing the football on Sky perfect? JSports on JCOM doesn't have them, AFAIK it was all council TV who got the rights to broadcast.

I've been using BBC and ITV iPlayer to re watch the games that I didn't see

They probably signed him in the hope he'd be decent like his brother Gary, who I like when he does the CL commentary, perhaps a bit like when Man U signed Phil as a kid

Phil has always been a bit.... dull, hasn't he.

Gary was pretty good at the commentary.

Hey what about Robbie Savage! ;)

Three Footballers and the BBC

Firstly, Clarence Seedorf, the first player to have won the Champions League four times and with three different clubs – Ajax in 1995, Real Madrid in 1998 and Milan in 2003 and 2007

Secondly, Thierry Henry who won two league titles and three FA Cups at Arsenal. With Barcelona, in 2009, he achieved an unprecedented sextuple of La Liga, Copa del Rey and Champions League and also the Supercopa de España, the UEFA Super Cup and the FIFA Club World Cup. In addition, he won 123 caps for France, winning the World Cup in 1998 and the European Championship in 2000.

The third is Robbie Savage.

Two are accomplished analysts.

Two are worldly wise and stylish, articulate, fluent in several languages, including English.

Its my weekend (work wed-sun) so can finally watch some games. And after literally hours of trying to find the games online i suddenly remembered i have a vpn and can switch it to the UK. Ah, its nice to watch Lineker.

Pity my first live game was the switzerland-ecuador game. Worse that the bastards on the guardian feed posted this abomination so i can no longer write the word Ecuador withour hearing "eh! kwa-DORRR!!!" Doop doop, de doop de doo doo, doop doop, de doop de doo doo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44t3xc_XDes&feature=kp

Looking forward to the portugal germany game though.

Not sure about all this football stuff but the Hockey World Cup has been very exciting!

It's grass hockey....... not to be confused with the real thing.

Portugal trying to outdo Spain there and probably succeeding! I hit fast forward after the sending off, so I didn't see the whole game. I did see that Raul Meireles now sports a magnificent beard to go with the mohawk and the tats.

Some nasty playacting from the Germans, so I hope they or the Brazilians don't go on and win it.

Game was good fun. Well, for about thirty minutes. Even at 2 down Portugal still looked like they could pull it back.

Two things to note: First, I used to play for a german local team years ago, and i remember watching the Bosnians and thinking "oooh, classic Germanic style". Memories of training sessions that were about 10% running, 10% 5 v 2 one touch, a bit of cone dribbling, a small kick around mini match at the end, and about FIFTY PERCENT of the session being drills on shooting from outside the box. ****, they LOVED shooting from outside the box. I think it destroyed my game to be honest :p Anyways, good to see Germany working it instead.

Second, jesus christ, legs! Almost every shot attempted by Portugal hit a german defenders legs before reaching the goal. I can only surmise theyve gone all German and scienced the spin of the ball in every single conceivable iteration and worked out exactly where to throw their bodies. Its phenomenal!

Watching the Ghana v USA game. Pretty scrappy. Lots of wasted chances at either end. Two mediocre teams with nothing special thus far.

One flashpoint: Muntari's challenge there was outrageous. Then he kicked off on top of it. I love the referee tried to broker a peace, but man, he needed at LEAST a booking on that.

I dont think ive facepalmed so much in a single game :)

Mid way through second half, ghana are looking good now. Well worth having a wee watch on a replay. Id skip through the first half, but the second half is a massive improvement.

ETA: Game settled down again after 70 minutes. The goal though was excellent. Should really end as a draw. Would have been a fair result. Ghana wasted plenty of chances through shitty end balls, but look like they have a bit of imagination on the lines. USA looks solid and dull. Hope they get knocked out to be honest. Less of them in the later stages would be nice.

ETA2: Super cute celebration by Brooks, he looked in utter shock. Great header though, one of the few headers ive seen that have been down. Its set-piece 101 but so many skied over the bar.

ETA3: Theyre making these stoppage times up. Two players carried off in the Portugal game, portugal 4-0 down. Two extra minutes. Nothing at all happening in the USA game, 2-1, 5 extra minutes. Where the hell do they get these figures. There must be a referee edict somewhere.

ETA4: Jones, brilliant game. Well impressed with his composure. Totally controlled the US line.