• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honda scores for Japan.   We should Accord him some praise for the goal.   Maybe give him a Civic reception when he gets home.   He seems to be in his Element at the world cup.   Obviously wea

I wrote this just now:   The Metatarsal Scare   The beginning of an England World Cup campaign is traditionally heralded by a metatarsal scare. For Brazil 2014, Roy Hodgson found himself sweating

Sorry dudes, youd have to convince me its massively different. If it helps, i dont think a deliberate elbow in the ribs is acceptable. I dont think people stamping on your feet is acceptable either or raking the back of your legs. But these are all common place. Its a sending off, im not disputing that, but i dont get why people think this is somehow far and away different deserving of some kind of enormous ban. Hell, why is this so much worse than Pepe's headbut or that elbow in the back by Song? Hes done it before? But er, isnt Pepe a ticking time bomb of rage? Wasnt it pretty much part of the German game plan to niggle at him? Didnt Uruguay do the same thing with Balotelli? Keep poking and poking and clattering and see if he loses his head? Any person whos played organised football at any level knows this. Youve been raked, youve been stamped, youve been elbowed. You probably havent been bitten mind you, but all of those things go on in a game and they should be banned. But its part and parcel of winding you up. It bothers me, but it just doesnt bother me at all. Maybe its just because Germans are dirty bastards that ive ended up so nihilistic on the matter, but i cannot see why this is such a huge issue. He had a nip. Its odd, but hes got a big horsey mouth so probably thinks he can do it slyly. I dont understand why he thinks that, maybe he thought Chiellini would swing around, elbow him in the face and get carded, or maybe he was just taking out his rage on the guy and thinks that a bite is some kind of super sneaky way to do it. Only Suarez knows that one, but right now he's not explaining it. Im not saying it belongs on a pitch. Im just saying its a bit of a massive over-reaction that this is somehow super special deserving of ridiculously long bans or even a 'lifetime ban' (as argued by Hoddle).

I think everyone is just reacting to how creepy and weird it is Ippy. It's something that 3 year olds do to each other. It's like Tyson with the ear biting... It's not the danger of the act itself so much as the WTF factor.

I get that. but then i start thinking, what if it is deliberate then, what if the whole thing is to do something wtf and get the appropriate reaction out of the defender. Professionals arent going to be phased by the above mentioned things, and will take them in their stride as part and parcel of the game, but then you think of Vinnie Jones grabbing Gazza's nutsack... So i cant find the part of me that wants to condemn it. Im trying very hard because im obviously in the oddball wing here so i should accept my moral compass needs a bit of adjustment, but i just cant. :) I dont even like the dude. I think hes a [censored] of the highest professional order. I know you guys are right on this but the melodrama irks me.

It's actually quite easy to point out the massive differences. You can elbow by accident. You can rake someone by accident. You can stamp on someone's foot by accident. Hell, you can even headbutt someone by accident if you're both going for the ball or not paying attention. How about biting someone by accident? It's impossible. That's why I think there is a really big difference and that's why I can't put elbowing and biting in the same category.

Yes, but this just really outlines the function of a referee to adjudicate and not really the difference in the intention of the act itself. If its deliberate, its deliberate regardless of whether or not theres a possibility that in another situation, it could have been an accident.

If it helps, ill concede this point and get off the relative damage issue:

If a player pulled down his pants and peed all over an opponent, he's not left any marks, but it's still a lot more serious than a bad tackle

ETA: Someone mentioned being spat at as well. Im starting to see the point.

ETA2: That being said...

Most of us know biting an opponent is wrong, and we can pretty much all work out that if a player does it repeatedly, (despite the fact that it invariably results in far greater harm to himself than his opponent), it is also an irrational thing to do. There are clear medical reasons why biting needs to be discouraged and it is not a very good example to set for any children watching.

In the days of misty, wobbly black and white telly, the incident in which Luis Suarez (allegedly) appears to have bitten Giorgio Chiellini might have gone unnoticed and no children would have been harmed by the flickering images of what would have been an obscure off the ball incident resulting in some falling over and angry gesticulation for reasons unknown. Chiellini may or may not have had a sore shoulder, but in all probability, he would have been more upset by Italy’s exit from the World Cup.

Instead, the world is obsessed. Children are shown the incident over and over again, Suarez appears to be the most hated man on earth, at least in the English (and possibly Italian) speaking world, and Chiellini appears to care more about his (allegedly) sore shoulder than he does about Italy’s defeat. Anyone who wishes Suarez to be treated with anything approaching compassion or forgiveness is described as an ‘apologist’, as is anyone who wishes to wait for the evidence to be properly assessed. The nearest thing to permitted compassion is the mantra ‘he needs help’, as long as it carries the subtext that he also needs to be kept away from football for a very long time, for his own sake as much as anyone else’s. The pundits in the studios are expected to wear the long face and make it clear that this is no laughing matter. It is the most serious televised incident since 9/11 and the wars in Iraq and Syria pale into insignificance by comparison. Anyone who thinks differently is an ‘apologist’. Perhaps the word should be ‘denier’, because this is really, really serious.

So serious that over a hundred Scandinavian punters cashed in on a bet that Suarez would bite someone during the World Cup. The odds were a generous 175-1. This maybe the most heinous crime of the modern age but ultimately ‘it’s all about the in play’, and, along with the entirely justifiable moral outrage at Suarez’s (alleged) assault, there is also the undoubted sense that it is a huge joke. He’s only gone and done it again! I don’t believe it. The big Adidas poster on the London bus featuring Luis Suarez says ‘all in or nothing’ - his teeth are all in all right! Arf! Cue the Jaws, Dracula, Hannibal Lecter jokes. These are the teeth that launched a million memes. We laugh, we condemn, we laugh, we condemn. We love it!

I was almost tempted to think that the reaction to the incident is more extreme and disturbing than the incident itself. But that would have made me an ‘apologist’. No. We may laugh, but we must condemn and above all, there can be no forgiveness this time.

The guy is brilliant but disturbed. SBS made some interesting comments about how his behaviour is more acceptable to South Americans who cite the "necessary street smarts" he clearly possesses to rise up from the wrong side of the tracks to the wealth of football superstardom as being admirable.

Maybe just a symptom of the world today in which the old cricket rule book clearly has no place !!

AFTER winning no games in the World Cup, hopes are high that England will win the European Championship in 2016.

It’s practically in the bag

Confidence of English success is based on previous victories against European opposition such as West Germany in 1966 and Russia and France in the Crimean and Napoleonic wars respectively.

Tom Logan of the UK football magazine The Roaring Lion said: “As we saw in Brazil, young players like Shaw, Smalling, Barkley and Wilshere, simply don’t have what it takes at this level. And Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney are past it.

“They’re a disgrace. They shouldn’t even be allowed to wear the shorts, let alone the shirt.

“We need to learn lessons. We need a footballing revolution in this country.”

However, said Logan, England’s prospects look rosy for 2016: “We have an exciting crop of youngsters including Shaw, Smalling, Barkley and Wilshere who are hungry for success.

“What’s more, with world-class experienced players like Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney still at the helm, we’ve every reason to believe Euro 2016 is practically in the bag for England.

“Learning lessons is for swots. Revolutions are for the French.

“72 hours is more than long enough for them to forget the 2014 World Cup ever happened, even while it is still occurring.”

In an unprecedented move Fifa has banned Uruguay’s Luis Suárez from all “football-related activities” for four months for biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini, ruling the striker out of the rest of the World Cup and the start of the domestic season.

The Liverpool player will not be able to play or train for his club or country for four months after Fifa’s disciplinary committee handed down the hefty sanction, which is sure to provoke dismay from Uruguay and Anfield.

The biting incident, the third in which Suárez has been involved in his career, has also led Fifa’s disciplinary committee to ban the player from entering any football stadium during the ban.

Buuuuut... i think the graun also confirmed that he wont be able to sign for another club in that period. So they might be able to keep him for another season.

Every cloud :)

As for the game... id be terrified watching this as a yank. Germany running the game. Enjoying watching everything the little bald head of Bradley does like a hawk whilst ignoring everything else. So far, seen him make 2 alright forward passes, and run after about 8 tackles hes got nowhere near. Its fun :) Germany have to win it though... seriously...

Jones powers through, and Bradley plays a genuinely intelligent ball! Good effort!

And again. A brilliant ball from Bradley. Come on dude! i want this! Usa turning this around a bit n the last 10-15 minuutes also showing they have TWO wings! Germany look bamboozled when they just decide to run the ball instead of trying to pass it around.

Another one! Bradley playing way better. I might have to accept he ust had two shocking games!

Half time: One for the battle chess fans. Really fun game. Love that Jones and Bradley are switching up and down. Howard and Gonzales looking brilliant, but zusi and beasley both adding a little extra something (obviously germany shutting down the jones/johnson line after johnson tore into portugal), but great to see USA have other options.

As for my mega player Jones, getting into great positions, but a few fluffs that have killed some attacks by USA. And Bradley, playing excellently in the middle of the park and letting Jones do the running, but again, closer he gets to the box man... maybe if he nets a hat-trick somehow he might get over it :)

Twenty minutes into the second half and theres going to be some sore fingers tomorrow in the States what with the Ghana score at the moment. USA deservedly a goal down, theyve been completely out of the game the second half. I have a feeling that Klose has put the marking heebie jeebies on the back line allowing Ozil to continually swamp them. No need for a Bradley watch at the minute, because no ones really on form at the minute.

The big worry is if it stays like this, germany looking happy at the minute to not pressure too hard and looking to ease this last 15 minutes, Klinsmann will have a hell of a decision to make. Either hope that the Ghana game stays 1-1 and not risk conceding a second, or try and get back into the game.

Woohoo! Ronaldo scored! Thank christ!

To be honest, it feels like Germany being a little... kind... here? A few chances that on another day you get the feeling Germany would have buried, end up with either a lackluster run or a really bad choice of pass. And when they aint ****ing about up front, they start making some 'choicy' passes among the back line.

Germany a totally different class of course. But would be happy to see the US go through despite what i said in the first game.

No but really, maybes a fluke, but that was a ffuking cross for the Ghana goal :o

PPS: The first half finally showed how those two are supposed to play together. Jones ping pongs and Bradley stays pretty static with the flow of play which allows him to do his job a bit better working the ball through. Of course, now Dempsey is TOTALLY isolated since neither Jones nor Bradley is there to connect with him. So still missing that... well, Dempsey isnt it? Thats his spot usually as i gather it. Its unfortunate that when they get the system actually working they might as well be playing with 10 men.

Can't believe that FIFA actually had the balls to hand out a punishment like that. Wonder what will happen on appeal. Also, it seems that he would be able to sign for another club, if the chance arose.

as bad as the incident was, especially since its now his 3rd offence.....I do't get the calls for Liverpool to dump him........just so some other club can benefit in 4 months time? :confused:

Cantona karate kicked a fan.......during a game......and Man United hung onto him. Why all the pressure for Liverpool to drop him?

I read somewhere that they can appeal the cash but probably not the time period etc.

Some people saying why should Liverpool suffer? Huh? Unlucky and almost feel a bit sorry for them. But it's unfortunate consequence of the actions of a man who 100% brought it on himself. Shit happens (see: Moyes).

he probably should undergo some therapy.....biting people in a normal world setting isn't right, nevermind a sporting setting. The man clearly is a bit mental, but very good at scoring goals.

Uruguay will revert to normal blandness again

I think Liverpool might just have had enough.

And if he's out of 1/4 of the season.... get massive chunks of dough and spend on someone else.

A risk but, he's a risk.

If he just wasn't so bloody good.

Why?

The dude bit him. It may not have been deep but it's a very clear crime. From what I saw, which was not all of it I admit, looks like he could easily have made more of it.