• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honda scores for Japan.   We should Accord him some praise for the goal.   Maybe give him a Civic reception when he gets home.   He seems to be in his Element at the world cup.   Obviously wea

I wrote this just now:   The Metatarsal Scare   The beginning of an England World Cup campaign is traditionally heralded by a metatarsal scare. For Brazil 2014, Roy Hodgson found himself sweating

Phil Neville's guide to Rio

Copacabana Beach

The sand is very white, being made up of small particles of white rock and seems to stretch for miles, which is because it does stretch for miles. The average temperature can be as high as 31 degrees or as low as 19 degrees and sometime it can be 23 degrees. Or 28.

Christ The Redeemer Statue

The statue is 98 foot tall, which is the same as 16 people who are six foot tall. Plus another two feet. It was built between 1922 and 1931, which is nine years, not quite as long as I played for Manchester United. Manchester United is a club in the North of England, which has no statues of Christ taller than 80 feet. I don’t think so, anyway.

Currency

The national currency of Brazil is the real, as in ‘Real Madrid’ or ‘Real Gone Kid’, which is my favourite song to sing at karaoke. Karaoke is Japanese rather than Brazilian, but I’m sure they probably have karaoke bars over here. I’ve been a bit busy with the commentating and everything so I’ve not been out much to bars. I did have a lager in my hotel room last night, though, because I was really thirsty.

Favelas

The favelas are where the really poor people in Rio live, a bit like Moss Side but with better dancers than Bez, who some people say I look a bit like. We were advised not to go there as it’s quite dangerous so I’ve not been there.

Sugarloaf Mountain

My favourite kind of loaf is the one with all the seeds in it that my wife gets, but you can’t get that over here so I’ve not really had much toast since I’ve been here. From the top of Sugarloaf Mountain you can see the favelas and the Christ The Redeemer Statue and Copacabana Beach, where the temperature can sometimes be 25 degrees. Or 30.

A radiator salesman called Phil Neville has received hundreds of abusive tweets intended for his footballing namesake.

Mr Neville, from Suffolk, was bombarded with Twitter messages to his account @philneville by fans who were unhappy with the ex-England star's World Cup TV commentary for the BBC on Saturday.

The former Manchester United utility player's punditry was widely criticised for being dully delivered and boring.

The other Phil Neville, aged 60, said he felt sorry for his famous namesake.

Mr Neville, from Hadleigh, said upon returning home from watching England's 2-1 defeat against Italy with friends, he noticed his phone was constantly buzzing.

Currency

The national currency of Brazil is the real, as in ‘Real Madrid’ or ‘Real Gone Kid’, which is my favourite song to sing at karaoke. Karaoke is Japanese rather than Brazilian, but I’m sure they probably have karaoke bars over here. I’ve been a bit busy with the commentating and everything so I’ve not been out much to bars. I did have a lager in my hotel room last night, though, because I was really thirsty.

Is this Phil's fave song or Pie Eaters?

hooray! algeria have been dull, but belgium have been worse. I cant stand watching teams just pass it around their back 4 waiting for space, its tedious as shit. I mean itd be alright if people are moving somewhere or creating openings, but its static. Its just pass to the left, nothing. Pass to the right, nothing. Maybe have a venture forward... get crowded, back to the back 4. At least, shit as they are with their 10 men behind the ball, when they do break Algeria put a bit of pace into things.

Lets hope they lose. But they wont. Of course theyre just going to pressure and pressure and do the same shit until they grind Algeria down, but its unimaginative and boring as shit to watch.

And whee! plenty of 25 yard shots from the Belgians when they run out of ideas.

And just as i write that, Belgium finally figure out how to attack!

That all being said, Strachan is playing a blinder in the half time analysis booth. The mans got 1000000 ideas at once, and cant decide which one he wants to talk about. Vierra has to be losing confidence in his English just facing him. Its not you vierra, its him. Hes ****ing mental. But right though. :)

Just woke up, had around 5 hours sleep, switched on iplayer, Just missed the Korean goal. Then Blam, russian counter and immediate goal. And since then its been terrifyingly fast. Its too early for this kind of game. My hearts in my mouth. Also, Korea... brilliantly inventive balls out there versus stupidly aggressive russian surges :)

ETA: Missed the second half of the Belgian game. Disappointed with the result, but not unexpected.

ETA2: Games calmed down. Thank christ, too much to process right after that goal. Russia really looking up for winning this though, so many players in front of the ball. Korea digging in.

ETA3: Comedy Korean goal.

hooray! algeria have been dull, but belgium have been worse. I cant stand watching teams just pass it around their back 4 waiting for space, its tedious as shit. I mean itd be alright if people are moving somewhere or creating openings, but its static. Its just pass to the left, nothing. Pass to the right, nothing. Maybe have a venture forward... get crowded, back to the back 4. At least, shit as they are with their 10 men behind the ball, when they do break Algeria put a bit of pace into things.

They need to stick it in the mixer!

In other world cup news, spent all monday creating a nice double ppt for the kiddies (a world cup explanation and a world cup bomb game). Just done two lessons on it. It turns out that no one in China could give less of a shit about it. Only another ten classes to teach. Its going to be a long two days :)

Who's that annoying Brazilian who seems to be doing everything he can to be noticed - dying his hair (shock!), crying at the national anthem (oh dear!).

I'll nickname him 'Annoying'.

Who's that annoying Brazilian who seems to be doing everything he can to be noticed - dying his hair (shock!), crying at the national anthem (oh dear!).

I'll nickname him 'Annoying'.

Too bad he didn't score!

:lol:

OCTOPUSES have confirmed that they are not psychic and would prefer to be left alone.

“What is a ‘Rooney’?”

The cephalopods reported being bothered by people demanding football prophecies, some of whom persisted even after being squirted with a defensive ink jet.

Aquarium-based octopus Tom Booker said: “To all those people who keep banging on my tank, I have no clue who is going to win your bipedal ball-based activity.

“I don’t really get your concept of ‘nations’. I see the world as ‘water’ and ‘land’.

“I’m mainly interested in things that happen in water.

“Because I am a ****ing octopus.”

Wild octopus Emma Bradford said: “As soon as I come within two feet of the surface some jackass is poking me with a stick and demanding to know next week’s so-called goals.

“What do I look like? Octadamus? If I had a stick-on beard and a shiny pebble that I gazed into would that please you?”

Original World Cup ‘oracle’ octopus Paul spent most of his life in a German aquarium, but after rising to prominence he left to go on the road with an ex-stripper, organising seances in the homes of rich old ladies and eventually getting stabbed in a bar brawl.