Good evening everyone,

this is my first post on this Forum, which I discovered just a few weeks ago while planning my holidays in Japan. I will spend more than 1 week in the country (Tokyo to Osaka) and really wish to have a one-day ski trip.

To date, it seems that the two options available for me - my ski trip should be on April 24th or 25th - are Gala or Kagura. I don't go off-piste, but I can run every slope. So, I have a few questions for you:

- as in Europe it would be ridicolous to think of skiing at these elevations at this time of the year, what should I expect in terms of snow conditions?

- which resort do you think will be in better conditions?

- in your opinion, is it better to make a return trip from Tokyo in the same day, and once back in the capital heading to Kyoto, or getting to Echigo-Yuzawa at evening, spending the following day skiing and after that coming back to Tokyo and then Kyoto?

- any advices on where to sleep/eat/rent stuffs? I checked some reviews, but fresh news are welcome!

Thank you very much for your replies, I'm really excited to visit Japan, and as living in Shanghai I missed the whole ski season in Europe, I'm sure I will have an amazing day on the snow! :)

Hi there

Top of Kagura is higher so expect better there, and a wider area.

Snow conditions? I was surprised at how good conditions were in nearby Maiko (a few km from Gala) today:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/23959-maiko-snow-resort-minamiuonuma-niigata-12th-april-2014/

Yuzawa is very easy for a Tokyo day trip, though I don't know about Tokyo-Kyoto stuff.

I think to get to Kyoto from Niigata, you have to swap shinks at Tokyo, don't think they go direct from Niigata to Osaka? Someone here who uses shinks might know.

Tokyo - Osaka by shinkansen is easy though just 2.5 hours!

Day trip to Yuzawa area and back from Tokyo is very easy and doable. Snow condition is of course going to be spring slush.....at best....BUT a miracle fresh fall can happen, just don't expect it.

Thank you;

I know I will need to go back to Tokyo, and checked timetables - it is doable. If I will go to Kagura, of course will post a report to let you know how the thing was

Well,

today I was told my holidays have been rescheduled beacuse of some bloody unschedulexpected incoming mission...GREAT!

Thank you anyway for your replies.

Cheers!