Winter statistic for Kobuchisawa and Sun Meadows season 2013/14

Ok thought I would share some winter statistics for my area this year.

As it is my first winter in this area I can't compare this with other years, but thought I would put down the figures for a bit of fun and as a record to see how next season will compare.

One thing I will say though is that we have had a very good season, with plenty of snow, quite consistently cold, not record breaking cold, but consistent, but we did have record breaking snow and a long season.

Although in January my area didn't get much snow up at the ski-jo they did, so as far skiing went there was plenty of snow.

Main difference I noticed this year is the freezing level was generally on the higher side than other years resulting in us getting rain here where other years it would have been snow. Several times it would hover around the 1400m freezing level so precipitation would fall as rain rather than snow. Normally the freezing level would be closer to the 800m as a max although usually much lower than that, Kiyosato being much higher got snow every time except one day where it rained, which normally never happens there.

For me my ski season started 8th Dec, and finished 6th April, I could go on a bit longer, but I am too busy and can't be bothered to go out anymore now.

Anyway first the snow statistics for my area :

Dec :40cm

Jan : 20cm

Feb: 280cm

Mar: 32cm

Apr : 5cm

Total : 376cm

These figures were from me keeping a record

Although our totals were very good, we didn't get the more regular snow that this area normally gets. Although here is not a heavy snow area it usually snows more days than it did this year.

For Kiyosato where Sun Meadows is located

Dec : 60cm

Jan : 107cm

Feb: 240cm

Mar : 110cm

Apr : 10cm

Total : 527cm

These figures were from a friend keeping a record.

All the following are from my records for my area:

Number of continuous days were night temperatures remained below freezing = 92 days starting from November 29th

Total number of nights below freezing starting from November until today 8th April = 132 days

Total number of nights below freezing :

November: 12

December: 31

January : 31

February :28

March : 27

April : 4 (until today 8th) record only!

Total number of days where snow was observed between Dec and 8th April = 31 days

That's it, I will keep a record next year to see how it compares!