Maiko Snow Resort (Minamiuonuna, Niigata) - 5th April 2014

I wasn't planning on skiing today but with a sprinkling of snow here, Maiko reporting 5-10cm of fresh and blue skies soon appearing this morning I thought why not. Braved the potential hayfever madness (OK so far!) and got up there.

It's the last weekend of the main season at Maiko. After tomorrow the will be closed Monday-Friday but plan to open up next Saturday and Sunday for the last two days. So we are right on the end of the season.

The layer of fresh snow overnight really made a difference I think as I'm sure if we hadn't have had that conditions would have been pretty awful. But actually I found some really decent snow in places. It helped that it was very quiet and so it wasn't quickly tracked out. But yes much better than I could hope for.

As I was finishing up coming down back to the gondola early afternoon it was getting rather sticky and slow but up at the Okusoeji bowl area it was better than I have sometimes had it mid season.

They were resting the Gondola and the pair lift up at Okusoeji, so basically there were 3 quads running (on the Gondola side of the resort where I was) but that covered most ground.

I would say there is 100% snow cover on the runs still so there's no problems there either.

A nice surprise!

A few snaps to show you how it was looking today.

muikabochi_3974.jpg

muikabochi_3973.jpg

muikabochi_3972.jpg

muikabochi_3971.jpg

muikabochi_3970.jpg

muikabochi_3969.jpg

muikabochi_3968.jpg

muikabochi_3967.jpg

Okusoeji pair lift already resting

muikabochi_3975.jpg

muikabochi_3976.jpg