Yeah I now realised that. I did not know that it would be so difficult to get a bike.

Road and hybrids are availabe and in fact some shops have them in my size.

One I liked a lot I have put a hold on it for two weeks so will give me time to look at other shops to see what else is out there.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want to get in shape, the animals you eat must also be healthy. For instance, if you want a hamburger, select a promising cow 10 weeks ahead of time and hire a personal trainer to develop a bov

Out of the person riding at that silly time and Tubby, Tubby seems the far more sensible!

Well had an interesting time at one of the bike shops today. I test rode the bike I am interested in borh the 500 and the 555 frame size and found the 500 to be a better riding position for me. I al

With skis and snowboards it's pretty easy to get a deal on last year's model. With bikes, you can struggle just to get this year's model at the normal price!

I fairly easily got a bike online last year.

I can't admit to being too fussy about it and there wasn't much choice but I found a decent one.

I can't remember the place will try to look back on the old pc and fine out.

Bikes aren't like shoes. They are quite adjustable. In fact, there are only 2 or 3 frame sizes to choose from and the rest is adjusted to your liking. You can confidently buy a bike online if you find one you like. You'll almost certainly not find what you like going to shops in inaka and it'll be quite a bit more expensive.

Thanks for the offer of finding the shop link but ill stick to the shops.

Quite a few decent shops in Kofu I have found and some nice hybrids In my size.

Now the matter of what I go for.

At the moment I have my eye on the Giant Escape RX in black.

But not decided yet.

Snowdude, are you tempted by a road bike rather than a hybrid?

It may suit you more on the hills around where you live.

I bought a Giant road bike a couple of years ago. It was one of the best buys I have ever made. I do about 3,000kms per year.

Yes I have considered it but the reason I am considering a hybrid it has lower low gears than a road bike so better for hill climbing but of course it has a lower high gear than a road bike but higher than a mountain bike.

As almost all my terrain will be mountain roads I dont need such a high gear I will be able to get plenty of speed going down hill anyway.

Another reason hybrids allows you to be able to add racks and paniers and also would not look silly with them on.

I wat to do long day trips but may decide to do touring on it so would like something that can take at least a little luggage.

Yeah that's a good call if you are carrying panniers. A few guys pass through here on hybirds with all the racks on.

I usually go out for a few hours at a time. Usually to a coffee shop and back!

The longest I have been is about 120km with my son down to Matsumoto, it was hard work coming back into the wind. It took us about 5 hours.

Make sure you get some good quality padded bicycle shorts for those long days. I am sure you will have a lot of fun.

Well had an interesting time at one of the bike shops today.

I test rode the bike I am interested in borh the 500 and the 555 frame size and found the 500 to be a better riding position for me.

I also rode a Giant road bike to compare.

For me the more upright hybrid was far more comfortable.

I found the road bike hurt my back and I just could not get used to the handlebars no matter where I held them and the position.

So a road bike for me is a no no and the hybrid is a go.

The hybrid also had better breaks and smoother gear changes but then the model I am looking at has better parts than the road bike even though the road bike was about 7000 yen more.

I guess you get more hybrid for your money.

So tomorrow or Sunday I will buy that hybrid as I really like it and it suits me.

I have ever only ever ridden upright bikes so that is probably why the hybrid is better for me.

• Like 1

I will take some pics tomorrow and post.

If it is dry out I will take it for a test run and see how I get on with it, really looking forward to going out on a proper bike again.

I was surprised by the pressure that those tyres have to be pumped upto, 110PSI although they can go to 120PSI!

Even at 70PSI they are solid as concrete, but was told the air pressure at anything much less than 110 is too low.

I have never had a bike with those really thin bold hard tyres before, so its all new to me.

I bought it from Sports Depo, as they stock all GIANT parts there as well as the bikes, anything GIANT they have it, plus for 500 yen you have lifetime free service/repair at any Sports Depo in the country. That was a big reason for me buying it from there and not a bike shop.

I got it stocked out with pump, water bottle, computer, lights, saddle bag, spare tube, oil and of course lock, so I am already for cruising once I get used to proper cycling again.

Will let you know tomorrow how I get on with it! No rain tomorrow please!

Well I have just been for a short 15k cycle ride with my new bike.

Stats for todays mini test ride are as follows

Riding time 42.12 mins

Total distance 14.97k

Ave speed 18.3km/h

Top speed 56.9k

Total calories burned 285

Total co2 emissions saved 2.15

On a flat surface I was able to maintain an average of 35-40k/h

And on the gradients between 8-15.

Im sure with some practice I will be able to improve on those above figures by quite a bit.

The bike perforrmed well and considering the course I took was about 60-65% up hill I think I performed ok too. (Improvement required though)

The bike handles really well nice and firm, stable and positive.

The gear change is smooth and stearing precise.

The brakes performed well too veven on the down hills.

Comfort was also good with position just about right. Once I do some serious distance only then will I know jiust how good the ride will be.

The seat and handlebar positions are fully adjustable so I have the option to adjust my riding position if I need.

The saddle was fine with just normal shortsvfor 15k but once I go further then I will wear my padded shorts.

Photos coming later

Looks good.

Might I suggest a few extras?

Toe clips for the pedals: these help position your foot correctly on the pedals and saves having to have proper bike shoes

Handlebar extensions: Gives more options while riding. On a long ride just a change in hand position can be as good as a rest

800px-Bar_ends.JPG

The angle of the extensions can be changed to match with your riding style.

a mudguard for the front wheel. At some stage you are going to be riding in the rain. A mud guard ensures the worst of the water the front wheel flicks up won't get to you.