Since spring has most definitely sprung and the weather has turned all mild and sunny, the snow around town has melted very quickly and the roads and pavements are now clear.....I thought it time for the annual jogging thread!

I put my first 5km run in the other day, was very nice to be out n about in the spring sunshine. Think I'll do another 7km today

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want to get in shape, the animals you eat must also be healthy. For instance, if you want a hamburger, select a promising cow 10 weeks ahead of time and hire a personal trainer to develop a bov

Out of the person riding at that silly time and Tubby, Tubby seems the far more sensible!

Well had an interesting time at one of the bike shops today. I test rode the bike I am interested in borh the 500 and the 555 frame size and found the 500 to be a better riding position for me. I al

Yeah SKI, I usually prefer the bike but it's just come out from under the pile of snow it's been in since December so I've not had a chance to give it a quick service to make sure it's running ok. I don't mind shortish runs, 5-8kms, I've a couple of routes around Maruyama Koen that are pretty cool when the weathers nice.

Oh, and the Mrs likes running so it's something that we can do together

My favourite courses still have snow on them, but I'll try and start going in a couple of weeks time. My number one course is a trail run.

I like cycling too but running lets me listen to tunes. I don't think it would be wise to ride on the road with the tunes on at the volume I like.

You planning to do any 'marathons' over the summer Tubby? We're doing the Lake Toya 10km in May and then maybe the Otaru half in June.

Beaut weather for running at the mo. Heading out for a 10 miler this afternoon.

haha....no! I've ran 11km once and it was tough going......when I hit the 8km mark it was a mental fight to keep the legs moving forward! I'll stick to my short 5-8km runs :)

It is really nice weather to get out running.

My running days finished when I was 25! I had an industrial accident in which my right foot was crushed flat, almost every bone in my foot was broken, and actually two of them ripped through the base of my foot and left a dent in my show that I was wearing!

Had pins put in and then had the bones wired together. Two bones still have pins in to this day. So most of the bones don't bend anymore or and the ones that do are with limited movement!

I can run, but it will hurt like hell the next day so I stick to cycling, I can cycle all day and my foot don't hurt at all.

Hiking is usually ok, climbing Mount Fuji hurts it.

I have actually learned to mentally shut off the pain, if I didn't it would hurt almost everyday to a degree.

Skiing is of course ok too as my foot doesn't bend.

I can't do hard impact kicks anymore when I do my Kuk Sool Won practice with my right foot either now, instead I just practice them with out contact.

I need to get myself a new bike, the one I had was ok for Kofu, but it aint much good around these mountain roads.

So until I buy one, which will be soon I stick to doing my weights and Kuk Sool Won practice.

I am buying a new bike and intend to make good use of that.

Can we have please please have this as a jogging/bike thread, or should they be seperate. Please advice!

Here's some helpful weight loss tips:

• Set realistic, attainable goals. Rather than trying to lose 10 pounds in one day, go eat a couple handfuls of shredded cheese or watch some television instead.
  • Being fit means constantly pushing your body. Tone your legs in the car by constantly braking and pushing on the gas.
  • If you want to get in shape, the animals you eat must also be healthy. For instance, if you want a hamburger, select a promising cow 10 weeks ahead of time and hire a personal trainer to develop a bovine strength-training regimen for the cow to assiduously follow.
  • Chocolate éclairs are rich and delicious. Wait, what are we saying? You shouldn’t be thinking about that now.
  • Take the stairs up to your office! It’s one of the easiest ways to hide an increasingly weak and shapeless body from the eyes of coworkers.
  • Supplements can give any gym-goer an added boost when it comes to bulking up. Get one of those big jugs of Muscle Milk, mix it with water, and then cake yourself in it. Allow the mixture to harden and then wait three to four days within your protein cocoon while the substance works its magic.
  • There’s no better way to get your heart pumping and muscles swelling than finding a lead pipe and just beating the shit out of some guy on the street.
  • Before going up for a second helping of dessert, ask yourself, “Do I really need this?” When the answer turns out to be yes, you’ll feel much less guilty about eating it.
  • Track your daily caloric intake by keeping a food journal. For example, you might write “Turkey sandwich, 650 calories” or “Why is this so hard? Oh God, I just want to be happy.”

• If you want to get in shape, the animals you eat must also be healthy. For instance, if you want a hamburger, select a promising cow 10 weeks ahead of time and hire a personal trainer to develop a bovine strength-training regimen for the cow to assiduously follow.

It should be dead.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I will buy a new bike. I used my bike for the first time this year and despite spending most of the winter buried under snow it worked fine and hadnt really rusted either.

Probably all the oil I sprayed over it before the first snow arrived in December helped I guess.

Soon found out the breaks are useless trying to stop going downhill and with only little wheels and six gears it is not the best for mountain roads.

So decided to get a new one sometime soon.

I am wondering do I get a mountain bike a road race bike or a hybrid.

Most if not all my cycling will be on roads with some light off road now and again.

If I have a new bike I would certainly go long distances on it too.

So was thinking maybe a hybrid would be better as I can use it off and on road but it has the same gearing as a road bike.

What type of bike do others here use who like me live in the mountains?

SnowDude, I don't live in the mountains, but there are some steep hills close by, does that count? If you want a bike both for fitness and fun I would recommend a mountain bike with 29" wheels and front suspension. Get the tires it comes with swapped to slimmer road tires and off you go. I have a mountain bike, 29" wheels, and front suspension, and I usually average 23km/h when out and about. With the road tires the bike is quick, and the front suspension and stronger build means it can handle some pretty rough roads and tracks.

Something like this would be good

c14_29m_trail_7_blk_1_1_1_1.png

That does look rather nice that bike. Is that actually easy to get a hold of in Japan,a bike with 29" wheels without special ordering?

Thanks for the tips.

I think I need to visit a decent bike shop in Kofu sometime and see what there is, its been years now since I really looked in to bikes properly.

My last mountain bike I had was not so fast, but then it was not anything as good as in that picture above either!

I walked into a bike shop and rode out with my bike. Wanted a Cannondale, but they were sold out and next shipment was three months away. So I got a Specialized, pretty much the same bike. Got a carrier and a basket on the back, so can use for shopping as well as. Most "bike" shops I've been in have mountain bikes with 29" wheels. Probably won't find them at the local mall, but a decent bike shop should have them.