• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a Defender, just an early-'70s vintage Land Rover. (I don't think the name "Defender" even existed back then, did it? Never heard it at the time, anyway.) And it was an awesome vehicle. Perfec

He's got the average sized one.

This is what I learned to drive on:

dash.jpg

lr-cab-rt.jpg

lr-cab-rear.jpg

:wub: (until the repair bill comes)

Yes...Defenders are so incredible looking but man...they are utter $hit.. I'm assuming that's what it is. Still, would like to have one to tinker on.

If that's a USB in on the head unit, I'm well jealous.

Yes...thus the "no device" text. That head unit is usb or aux input only....no cd. It was cheap and works well enough. The truck is pretty loud so hi fidelity is umm....compromised..

Yes...Defenders are so incredible looking but man...they are utter $hit.. I'm assuming that's what it is. Still, would like to have one to tinker on.

Not a Defender, just an early-'70s vintage Land Rover. (I don't think the name "Defender" even existed back then, did it? Never heard it at the time, anyway.)

And it was an awesome vehicle. Perfect for exploring abandoned logging roads.

And it was a convertible! If you unbolt the roof. Which we did on occasion.

Tie-rods had a nasty habit of falling off at speed, leading to complete loss of steerability.

As happened to me once coming up on a highway turn, with a big barn facing on the opposite side of the road.

I remarked to my friend who was riding with me at the time, "Oops, we just lost steering."

He said, "Are you kidding?"

I said, "No, look!" and spun the wheel a few times.

"...so what are you going to do?"

"I don't know. Try braking, I guess."

And darned if the thing didn't just gracefully pull over to the the side and come to a safe stop, front wheels asplay.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

The next week we were riding in that same friend's old MG roadster, with the spinner hubs. (Because my wheels were still out of commission.)

On the first leg of an epic road trip to visit a friend of ours who was away for the summer somewhere.

While crossing a bridge 30 minutes in, the front end suddenly dropped and went Thunk!, and the car came to a grating stop, as we watched the right front tire roll away from us across the bridge.

My friend turned to me and said, "You know, I'm never riding in a car with you again."

I replied, "I was just thinking the same thing."

Not a Defender, just an early-'70s vintage Land Rover. (I don't think the name "Defender" even existed back then, did it? Never heard it at the time, anyway.)

Tie-rods had a nasty habit of falling off at speed, leading to complete loss of steerability.

As happened to me once coming up on a highway turn, with a big barn facing on the opposite side of the road.

I remarked to my friend who was riding with me at the time, "Oops, we just lost steering."

And darned if the thing didn't just gracefully pull over to the the side and come to a safe stop, front wheels asplay.

The Defender name came about in the late 80's but before that they were just the "LandRover". :thumbsup:

:lol:

The British Way