they are rare over here Chris or do you mean in general? Not that I know, but just given the fact that most cars in the UK seem to be manual, I'd expect manual LC's to be the norm in the UK

There are more manual Cruisers shipped to Aus and the middle east. I've only ever seen a few here and they are usually on the real basic bare bones GX models. Even in the UK most would be auto's.

I was just surprised because you have a pimped offroad setup, though I suppose you still have low with an automatic.

All the flash supercars on Top Gear seem to be flappy gearbox with no clutch pedal. F1 has been clutchless for years too. Legend has it that Williams made a superfast CVT car in the days before Senna but the authorities banned it straight away. Fwiw, old ladies with automatic only driving licences can drive a Bugatti Veyron because it qualifies as an automatic.

Electric cars have rocket-like acceleration but I don't think they use gears.

Yes, in bull low with the lockers engaged it just creeps along. Having an auto transmission is WAY WAY better when off-roading. No ifs, ands, or buts..... Technical sections on a steep incline are impossible with a clutch.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a Defender, just an early-'70s vintage Land Rover. (I don't think the name "Defender" even existed back then, did it? Never heard it at the time, anyway.) And it was an awesome vehicle. Perfec

He's got the average sized one.

I might not have given it too much time but for me google maps sucks.

A proper car navi is so much better.

I'll just mention it again....Google Maps isn't meant to be a navi. You have to get a dedicated app like Navitime, Navico, Go Go Navi...etc...

Thanks Chris. Always good to learn something new. The Hilux I had was an automatic but I never took it offroad, at least not intentionally. I sold it to an exporter who said he would have given me more if it had been a manual.

The Hilux..Surf is a different animal. Those are more light duty and are really only good as a manual. The 22R and later v6 engines are pretty gutless with an auto and really only shine when winding them up and popping the clutch.. They aren't great off road unless you really beef up the wimpy front suspension and CV's. Good for dirt roads and light wheeling.

they are rare over here Chris or do you mean in general? Not that I know, but just given the fact that most cars in the UK seem to be manual, I'd expect manual LC's to be the norm in the UK

Most cars in the UK are manual 'cos you have to pay extra for an auto. No fleet buyer will pay upwards of 1,000 pounds for the extra comfort for their plebby sales reps.

You do know that the google map app actually speaks out and shows the route to take to a destination just like a car navi, it is more than just a map.

The only problem with the google map on the phone is it is rather too small to see easily,so you need to rely on your ears as much if not more than your eyes.

If you have a decent sized i-pad then the google app would be as good as a car navi, except for when your are in low reception areas or if you pass through tunnels, then you may loose the map guidance!

I'll just mention it again....Google Maps isn't meant to be a navi. You have to get a dedicated app like Navitime, Navico, Go Go Navi...etc...

Actually Chris that is not quite right, it will work the same as a car navi if you use the guidance function on it, it will speak out and show the direction/route to take and each turning point the same as a car navi.

If you have a decent sized i-pad then the google app would be as good as a car navi, except for when your are in low reception areas or if you pass through tunnels, then you may loose the map guidance!

And also except:

- when you want the back/front camera functions

- when you want lots of the functions that modern carnavis have

- when you want to play CDs

- when you want to play DVDs

- when you want to watch TV

- when you want to use it without having a data plan

And also except:

- when you want the back/front camera functions

- when you want lots of the functions that modern carnavis have

- when you want to play CDs

- when you want to play DVDs

- when you want to watch TV

- when you want to use it without having a data plan

-when you want to spend $1800 or so..... ;)

Actually Ski....looking at some of the off brands...if they deliver even half of what they offer without crapping out in a year....seem a pretty good deal. :thumbsup:

Our navi is updated by downloading a program from the net, installing it on a computer. Run the program and install new maps onto a memory card. Memory card goes into navi and update done. (well that's how it's meant to work, installing onto memory card keeps failing for us)

The new ones like what is built into my Delica update themselves automatically via the satelites.

The Caroezeria one in my wifes K doesnt.

Im not sure if and how it can be updated maybe by CD which we dont have or by connecting to a computer or by memory stick as it has a USB connection on it.

Badically a hassle. I much prefer it updating itself.

Speaking of Navi, audio and such.... I'm in the middle of rewiring and rerouting my entire system. The previous owner was a hack and I've had to rip out a ton of crap. What a job...

A1E5A163-947D-4D56-BFBE-AAFC77A25051-2656-000001A505BEFE24_zpsbe2918b7.jpg

Before and After... All back together....Sorry, no navi as I put all the rocker switches in the bottom DIN.

36692110-d1bb-486e-a796-3ad82e5380ec_zps4ece3378.jpg