• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a Defender, just an early-'70s vintage Land Rover. (I don't think the name "Defender" even existed back then, did it? Never heard it at the time, anyway.) And it was an awesome vehicle. Perfec

He's got the average sized one.

The navi in our K car is crap it doesnt update so mamy roads are not on it or have changed so it sometimes gets lost.

The navi in my Delica is always updating to the latest maps so it always gets me to where I want to get unless it is somewhere really new that hasnt been added to the system yet or when trying to find some remote place or place business that no longer exists but has not been made known to the map makers.

It is pretty dam accurate actually.

My google map navi app on my smart phone very good at getting me where I want.

I use that when im in my truck as I dont have a navi in there or if I need to find a place on foot.

Probably an 'obselete' comment.

But I still watch DVDs and I still buy CDs.

But anyway. I was looking at the new ones. Some have HUDs above the driver, and there seems to be a whole load of stuff which whether it's useful or not don't know. I'm going to check them out.

But googlemaps on my phone in the car does not sound like a neat solution to me. What I have in my car is way better than "google maps on my phone", and it's 5+ years old.

But.

I have access and drive both a car with a Carrozeria and one with a phone connected. You can certainly get by with the phone if a little finnicky it being small etc, but there's no question I much prefer the full navi system. It may not be worth the big chunk of dough, but it's the better solution by far.

Dead-End-Ahead-Sign-K-6563.gif

Right up there with CD's and DVD's

What does that mean?

Yes...ridiculously dated technology and a one trick pony .... and one that you really have to pony up for. For that kind of cash I'd just get an ipad mini and have it custom installed with a latch release and pay the monthly network fees with the extra coin saved.. AND.....!!! Coincidentally, it fits (near) perfectly in the double Din space in your dash making it a pretty basic install. Way better functionally and ergonomically than anything factory or aftermarket.

I can see that an ipad connected up and doing googlemaps would be enough, but I really like my car navi system. I migh be missing out on google functionality, but from where I am my machine does much more and does it neater too.

It acts as my cd player, dvd player and tv as well (don't use the latter much but they were useful when I was driving around after the quake!)

Seems to me you should perhaps check out recent ones and update your opinion!

:thumbsup:

I have....every time I go to Autobacs and no, it doesn't change my opinion. Maybe explain it to me Gil. Also...and no one has mentioned it... No English support except on a few models way out of my budget range. My Japanese is pretty fair but I would (and do) have a hard time getting into the deeper settings of even the basic unit I have. And with decent models up around the 18man price range I just don't see the value.

Also, you aren't confined to google maps... There are great quality although somewhat pricey navi apps in Japanese. Connectivity.... :confused: the only time I can't get a signal is at the top of the ski hill..

Don't get me wrong..I like the navi systems. They just seem a little bit of a doe-doe.

Speaking of Navi, audio and such.... I'm in the middle of rewiring and rerouting my entire system. The previous owner was a hack and I've had to rip out a ton of crap. What a job...

A1E5A163-947D-4D56-BFBE-AAFC77A25051-2656-000001A505BEFE24_zpsbe2918b7.jpg

I didn't think you'd have an automatic. Full marks for doing the work yourself.

I'm not a fan of car navigation systems. I think they're too expensive for what they do. Even if they play DVDs, they'll have to be Japanese ones that cost more and English films for the kids will come up with Japanese as default language. In my experience, car audio has also been the most temperamental regarding skipping and scratches on CDs.

I reckon the thing to put in is a good amp and speakers and then hook the amp up to a not so expensive player thing that can do whatever you want today but probably won't be able to in three to five years time when file formats or cables or Spotify or whatever have changed. Amps and speakers barely change over time. Ideally a player/head unit would have a USB in and rewritable firmware and cable adapters to be kind of futureproofed. If you're spending money on your system, analogue in through a headphone amp and a 3.5 mm jack is a bit crap.

What I like about the navi I have in my car is not the fact it has a NAVI, DVD, CD player and TV it is the fact it automatically saves all the CD'S into it's memory, so I don't have a single CD in my car, but have hundreds of hours of music which I can select in an instant or just have it randomly play through the thousands of songs.

I have a Rockford set-up had that installed from the start when I bought the car, so the sounds is pretty damn good too!

I would not want to try to wire a new system into the car I have now, it would be a nightmare to even begin to take panels off to find where the wires run. The old cars were a piece of cake to install/add new stuff, just take off a couple of easy to remove panels, take of the door cover, the stereos practically fell out and that was it access to all the required wires.

Now it would take all day just to find out how to remove one panel I reckon!