A couple of questions for those of you who live here:-

1. Re: NHK tv licence fees. I was given a tv just over a year ago and being my first tv, never thought twice about licence fees until the weekend when someone told me that I should be paying something!! :omg: So my first question is, does everyone pay this?

2. Re: Japanese Credit Cards. After 4 and half years here, I'm thinking that it's about time I got a Japanese credit card but I've heard that it's not so easy as a foreigner. Question 2 is therefore what credit cards would you recommend and why? (actually that's 3 questions but you know what I mean!!) :D

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Re credit cards, work out were you would use it the most. Then see if where ever that is has it's own card. Lots of the big shops, telecos etc have their own branded cards which can get you a discount when using it in store.

I got my Japanese credit card through the Daie shop many many years ago when they were offering these cards.

It was very easy, just fill in a form, well rather the person filled it in for me sent in the application, to see if I would be accepted or not and that was that. A couple of weeks later or so and I was the new owner of a credit card.

I also got a American express credit card when I joined to Shinsei bank years ago. That was easy too.

Don't know if it is as easy now or not, but I would expect if you went to one of these big shops or department store you could do the same.

I am still using that same card, but gave up using the American express, didn't really have any need for it.

My car is from Cedyna (used to be called OMC)

It's much easier to get a credit card now as a gaijin than back in the day. That said, I'd imagine there is still room for "oh yeah you'll get one" reassurances only for you to be rejected four weeks later.

As onehunga says, get one with points you can use, and then use the card to pay your electricity bill, mobile bill, and anything else you can get away with.

Note that you can't gamble online with a Japanese card. It's stopped me betting on the football.

Hey Mick,

NHK guy gets the bird. No pleasantries about it.

Credit cards are easy. I have three of them now and there was no extra drama for being a foreigner....that I can remember. :confused:

Never paid NHK and never will.

Mind you I dont have NHK anyway just Hikari.

I just conmect my smartphone to my TV when I want to watch NHK on a big screen.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Re: the tv fee, don't NHK have any powers of enforcement for non-payment such as penalty fines, etc?

Re: the credit card, I'm not too fussed about points (airmiles excepted), I'm just fed up of paying the extra fees involved in transferring money to pay off my British visa card!!

NHK aren't allowed into your house without the cops, so don't let them in. Tell them that you don't have a TV or do as I do, tell them that I only watch DVD's on it and they usually bugger off

Or the bobble head weather girl. Umm.....bobble ....!! ;)

Regarding the NHK guy Mick. Don't even lie or make up excuses.... just say no and goodbye..

Don't discount the credit card points. They add up and are significant whether you apply them to air miles or gift certificates or whatever.

City bank is the easiest credit card to get in Japan. With other banks/credit card companies it can be really hit and miss. It's certainly easier now than in the past but I'll bet that most foreigners with a Japanese credit card were rejected a few times before getting one.

Just tell the NHK guy to go away. Don't tell him you have a TV though. Technically there are penalties but it is almost never enforced.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that lots of people who have loads of money also probably prefer to pay less for the same thing than more.

One of the reasons they have loads of money might be because they use it well.

Mega rich may not but 'normal' people who try to make the most of their money and wanted to buy more expensive items (house, car, electrics) will surely have tried if possible to buy before they became 3% more expensive.