Please help me with car ideas

Plug in overnight should give you a full charge in 8 hours on standard charge giving something like 150km on electric only. Then the engine takes over the drive and the batteries get charged too. You don't need to plug it in at all, but the capability lets you charge on cheap overnight electricity.

Rather than going on full electric, (running out of charge scares the shit outta me), I'd prefer a plug-in hybrid.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's the Outlander, I see one all the time in Hakuba. I mean to ask the owner about it if I can catch them. We have two Toyota hybrids ourselves. The real world fuel economy on PHEVs is a user-dependent number because it depends on how much driving you do within its range, assuming you get to charge it.

In Japan electricity isn't cheap, so I doubt the cost of running it off electric will be that much cheaper than gasoline. In other countries though, charging it up might save you a lot, especially if there is high tax on fuel.

The Japan spec of the Outlander is only about 40 to 50km electric-only range real world. The catalogue claims 60. However, for a plugin hybrid, it's not expensive and the battery is comparatively big. If you can charge it up regularly, it sounds like the running cost is much lower than the normal non-hybrid Outlander.

We are currently looking at new cars as well. While the Impreza is great, it seems to have shrunk a bit, either that or the kids are getting bigger. The idea was to replace it next winter, giving the Impreza to my Mother-in-law to replace her old car. However she had an accident on Wednesday, and needs a new car sooner.

Currently looking at the new X-Trail, mainly because of the extra two seats, handy for visits to Osaka when there are 6 of us for dinner.

I test drove the Nissan X trail several years ago and the engine in that was gutless I ended up with an Escudo instead.

I guess they have improved a lot and the diesel they have now is probably really good.

Just thought I would mention it just in case the petrol engine is like they used to be.

They are a nice car though.

As far as I can work out there is only one engine choice in Japan. A 2.0 litre petrol. given the weight of the X-trail it may be a bit gutless. Also not too impressed with the AWD part, can only be used under 40 km/h. However my Wife's family is so pro Nissan I might not have a choice in the matter. (some of the family didn't want to speak to us after we got the Subaru)

If they're so pro Nissan and insistent .... ask them to pay for it...haha. Unless you're into Nismo sporty stuff or a diehard diesel Safari fan..(great trucks) then it's all just ..meh. I looked real hard at a new xtrail some years ago and they were nice but the fact they wouldn't offer the diesel was the deal breaker. The older 2.5l petrol was pretty good but you're right ....this 2.0L is questionable. Also, not a fan of the new body styling. Everything these days looks the same...just different badges..

My 2 cents. A friend I used to go surfing with had an X-trail. I was surprised at how small the inside was. Even with the seats out there wasn't as much room as I'd imagined for a truck. Other than that it was a pretty sweet ride. At the time I was driving a Delica which was roomy but way way under powered. Driving around the mountains in Izu it was foot to the floor and watching the speedometer going down kind of underpowered.

I dunno about power and whatnot, but isn't there a clean diesel X-Trail you can buy in Japan? It won't be cheap, but it'll probably get good fuel economy.

Of course, for three rows of seats in a Nissan, what you really want is a Cube3!!

nissan.cube.3.back.2009.jpg

Postman Pat! Postman Pat! And his black and white cat!

My 2 cents. A friend I used to go surfing with had an X-trail. I was surprised at how small the inside was. Even with the seats out there wasn't as much room as I'd imagined for a truck. Other than that it was a pretty sweet ride. At the time I was driving a Delica which was roomy but way way under powered. Driving around the mountains in Izu it was foot to the floor and watching the speedometer going down kind of underpowered.

Which Delica did you drive that was under powered?

I have the 2.4l D5 Delica and although it is no sports car performance I find it pretty fast and enough power and has no problem whizzng up steep mountain roads or going up hill on a motorway without too much puffing.

Talking of differemt badges and looking the same,

Im sure you all know the Suzuki Jimny and more recently the recently released Suzuki Hustler well Nissan has both of these exact same cars but with a Nissan badge.

Suzuki sold these two car bodies to Nissan.

But never seen Nissans version of the Jimny on the road only Suzuki for which there are thousands all over the place.

Just finished a test drive in an Outlander. Way more space inside than the X-Trail, and bigger engine. My wife liked it, maybe the pro Nissanness is wearing off.

Talking of differemt badges and looking the same,

Im sure you all know the Suzuki Jimny and more recently the recently released Suzuki Hustler well Nissan has both of these exact same cars but with a Nissan badge.

Suzuki sold these two car bodies to Nissan.

But never seen Nissans version of the Jimny on the road only Suzuki for which there are thousands all over the place.

Nissan also have the La Feista which is a rebadged Mazda Primacy.

Which Delica did you drive that was under powered?

I have the 2.4l D5 Delica and although it is no sports car performance I find it pretty fast and enough power and has no problem whizzng up steep mountain roads or going up hill on a motorway without too much puffing.

It was the 4th generation 2006 called Space Gear. It had a 2.5L turbocharge diesel engine. No problems highway driving but in the mountains it was really noticeable. It was such a piece of shit that I sold it after only 6 months. No comment on the new Delicas but I hated driving that one.

I bought my car cash.

Actually all three of our cars I bought cash.

I dont lilke loans and if I need a loan for something then it means I cant afford it.

The only exception is our house but them I could pay it off in one go if I want.