Please help me with car ideas

You might have difficulty matching up model numbers as the official option books maybe don't say the exact model.

But I am guessing that it would probably save you some buying on kakaku and getting fitted.

Tuner parts for any of the Subaru models are plentiful.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For second hand cars, there is a column (not always filled) for all-in prices on Goo-net and Car Sensor. Get a Japanese person to run you through what all the numbers on the page mean.

Note that some of the cars on the web in Goo-net and Car Sensor will have been sold a week or longer ago but not deleted. Always ring up first if you want to go and look at one.

With s/h cars, fully loaded ones don't cost that much more than the basic model, Options like sunroofs, leather seats, etc. cost a fortune on new cars.

Skis take up a lot of space and big ones is good in pow, so for Subaru, I'd get a Legacy. One of the station wagon or Outback crossover ones. Something big enough to sleep in. WIth onsens everywhere, car camping is very easy in Japan, and a cool way to get around.

Presumably getting a car "with plates on" means it has some shaken remaining.

I just went through the whole process of buying a new car and literally spent months and months researching both new and used. As for buying a second hand Subaru I would say be careful. Second hand they tend to be more expensive than other similar second hand cars and they also tend to have a lot more miles on them. When I was looking into buying one there were a lot that had more than one driver, meaning they had already been sold as second hand before.

One thing I noticed was that a new Subaru Imprezza or Forester was actually cheaper than a lot of the other makes. For basically any second hand car you should add on 10万円 to the sticker price.

Interesting you should say that, I'm finding Subaru second hand prices oddly high. When they are so close, obviously getting a brand new one is very appealing.

Now, for some cash. :lol:

We used to drive a Toyota Cardina and I can't recommend it enough. It was AWD, roomy and very reliable. When I bought it second hand from a friend and it had something like 37,000km. We put 100,000km more on the engine in about 6-7 years and never had any problems with it at all. Not very sporty though but very useful for skiing / camping, etc.

Car audio and Navi units come in industry standard 1 DIN or 2 DIN sizes. Every modern car on the planet has a 2 DIN worth of space in the dash. Audio and navi units come in both sizes. Personally, I'd go with a 1 DIN audio head unit and fill the other hole with a utility box. Portable navi's are cheap and good quality. Also, a data plan version of an iPad mini or regular iPad is a good navi unit. I don't think I'd ever buy an in-dash navi unit again.

My mate has an iPhone mount on the dash and uses google maps for navi

Before worrying too much about space for skis think about how many days you actually ski vs how many days you will use the car. May be a "cheaper" option to get a small sports type car and just courier your skis to and from the ski fields.

Before worrying too much about space for skis think about how many days you actually ski vs how many days you will use the car. May be a "cheaper" option to get a small sports type car and just courier your skis to and from the ski fields.

The OP is in Niigata, but that's good thinking. Another option for folks outside the snow zones is to buy whatever car you want for fun or saving money and rent a car with 4wd with snow tires for snow adventures.

What do u drive Thurs? Not that Ive ever been to HK, but I always imagine it to be pretty packed with narrow streets etc....is driving a bit of a PITA in a big car?

For everyday driving to and from work or just popping to the super, you need one of theses.

toyota-landcruiser-03.jpg

The 200 Series is nice for sure but at ~$100K ....yikes. IMHO Toyota lost their way after the 100 Series. Of course, the best off/on road vehicle ever produced across all brands is the 80 Series......Particularly, ....ahem.....this one! :lol: ... :wave:

672ad15d-d8e2-42ee-b6f8-fb8d2005f08c_zps5d5bab65.jpg

I have never been for a test drive. How do they work?

You show up at the dealer, choose the car you want to drive/they have available, get in and go! Usually the dealer sits in the back and tells you where to go, sometimes they just let you go without the dealer. For popular car models you should reserve in advance.