Please help me with car ideas

I was amazed at how different the rates were from company to company. I think Toyota was like 5.9% while Honda was only 1.5%. I was also surprised that they don't compound the interest monthly. Instead, they compound it once on the total amount.

For what it's worth we paid for ours in cash. I also noticed a few other people doing the same. I don't think it's really the norm though.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Outlander, if plugging in is an option for you, it sounds like the plug-in has a relatively short payback time for the premium you pay over the Outlander with the regular engine. Google "outlander autoc-one.jp prius phev" for a review.

If you ever want to trade in in a few years time, I guess the PHEV will be worth considerably more than the regular Outlander.

I was amazed at how different the rates were from company to company. I think Toyota was like 5.9% while Honda was only 1.5%. I was also surprised that they don't compound the interest monthly. Instead, they compound it once on the total amount.

For what it's worth we paid for ours in cash. I also noticed a few other people doing the same. I don't think it's really the norm though.

What does the 5.9% number mean there BM? Stoopid question I know...

The loans that I got on both vehicles that I financed were pretty low...less than 3% I believe. I liked it in the old days when you could use cash as a bargaining chip..... Now, they don't really give a $hit....

They prefer you take the car loan 'cos they get commish.

The Arthur Daleys hear have a lower price if you go for the loan, but you end up paying more because of the financing and the kickback for the sales person.

If I were spending a large chunk on a brand new car, I think I'd be disappointed to see double digits there.

I'd be as urusai as anything checking things over. No doubt I'd be a difficult customer!

Obviously you want as little as possible on there when you are buying new.

My brother bought a BMW ex-demo. I think it had 1000km on it, but he got a large chunk off the new price. It was pretty much as new.

Our car had 3 kilometres when we got it which is what would be expected when buying new.

And that 3k so I was told is from driving it to a nearby garage to put some petrol in it while checking everything works ok.

Pretty damn acceptable that.

If I buy new again and it had 100 k on it then I would be wanting answers or some money off because a car with 100kilometres on it is no longer new it has been used and I would be wanting to pay a used price not new.

Think of it like this if you buy a brand new car with close to zero k on it you go and do just 100 kilometres with it bring it back and sell it you would have lost some money on it as it is now classed as a used car.

I would agree. I'm just saying that 0km means that it hasn't had a test run out.

I read that legally a car is "new" until it has been registered to someone. If you look online lots of people get new cars with double and perhaps even triple digit numbers on the clock.

I wouldn't like it either but that's the reality.

It also depends on where the car is from and where it's bought. For example, most of the Japanese cars sold in the US or Canada have up to 50kms or so on them from all the moving around from hold yard to staging yard to boat...off loading in intermediate ports...reloaded and so on.....

I took my brother once to the Nissan dealer because he likes the Cube and it wasn't (officially) on sale in Europe at the time.

He had a sit in the test drive one and then saw a red one with optional bodywork just outside the dealership door.

He sat down in it and I took some photos with him giving it the thumbs up etc.

I then stepped back and saw it was parked in front of a big rosette thing with "Suzuki-san, nousha omedetou gozaimasu!" in big letters.

(Congratulations on your new car, Suzuki san!)

Just then, one of the staff finally noticed and rushed out of the dealership in somewhat of a panic.

So anyway, someone round here has a Cube that was pre-sat in by a gaijin with a beer belly. I don't think they got a discount.

• 2 weeks later...