Please help me with car ideas

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Test drive in the Subaru BRZ.

Turn up, had a chat with the guy - my idea to put him at ease (maybe) with my less than perfect Japanese - then went for a ride... him in the passenger seat and telling me where to go.

Very nice indeed to drive and an extremely good looking car. Hoshii!

:console:

If you want something fairly similar for less money, have a look at not-so-old RX8s.

It terms of actual setup, it's possibly closer to a hachi-roku/brz than the other Subarus that are 4wd.

Sort of on topic....

Hey, can any of you guys give me the lowdown on the declassification of the "K" car designation. What are the details? I've been thinking of buying a Jimny lately..

Dunno much about rotaries, aside from the name of the creator, Mr. Wankel. The fella that built my house has an RX8 and is a big Mazda fan. We used to have a Eunos/MX5 which was a lot of fun and super stable around corners. It was only the 1.6 5 speed, so not a lot of power, but fun all the same.

fwiw, I quite like the Nissan Cube. The first version is lame and isn't even very cube-y, but the second and later cutesy asymmetrical boxey ones are cool. We hired one for a week once in Okinawa. Lots of room for gear and plenty of headroom. The one we hired was a milk tea colour that called "cardboard" in the brochure.

I like the cube's, I'd get a black one with a red stripe along each side tapering in from the roof to the front of the car.........and I pity the fool who doesn't like it!

;)

What do you want to know about K cars Chris? As far as I know, they are designated as such when the engine is under 1.0L. The yearly tax is cheaper (although going up this year, big surprise!) and while the shaken is technically the same it tends to be cheaper because of the smaller axel size and weigh.

Thanks BM....I know all the basic stuff.. I was just wondering if the tax is in fact going to go up and by how much?? I thought I heard they were doing away with the yellow number plates as well..

I like the cube's, I'd get a black one with a red stripe along each side tapering in from the roof to the front of the car.........and I pity the fool who doesn't like it!

;)

nissan-cube.jpg

barf time.

Many Keis do over 90km/h. Even our Pajero Mini, which has an automatic transmission seemingly lacking a top gear. 80km/h takes 4000rpm. Thankfully I've only had to drive it on the highway once. It involved lots and lots of whirring. I think the turbo kei cars are better.

Kei cars have loads of rules about random stuff like how long the car is. They are also 4 passengers max by law. It's legal to carry three kids in the back of one, but one kid won't have a seatbelt.

;)

nissan-cube.jpg

barf time.

Yeah but mines won't be snotter green

Cars are designated K if they have a 660cc engine anything bigger is not classed as a K as far as I undetstand.

As for speed most if not all K cars will do 120k/h.

And in fact I have had my wifes up to its max 140 where the rev limiter cuts in.

They all have 3 cylinder engines except Subaru which have four.