Please help me with car ideas

OK so I am thinking about buying a car.

I'd like something 'a bit sporty' (but not over the top).

2 door is fine, enough space for skis. Doesn't need to be big. But not a K car.

4WD.

Second hand, not too expensive, but in decent nick.

Any got any suggestions for me on what to look at?

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with the "Postmaster General" all your requirements scream Subaru, probably Impressa, as the BRZ hasn't been around long enough to have not too expensive second hand models. A WRX would suit the requirements, as long as you can find one without a ridiculously large spoiler.

You know when you see sticker prices of cars, say a new one, are there tons of things to add onto that? Does it end up being a chunk more than the sticker price, if that makes sense?

There is more to the sticker price. Well there was when we brought our new Subaru a couple of years back. It didn't end up being a large chunk more. From memory about 300,000 yen more. That was over and above all the extras we got. With new cars in Japan even floor mats are an extra.

Thanks.

I REALLY like the look of that BRZ!!!

:yummy:

Although the BRZ isn't AWD, it's only 2WD. But who cares, it looks cool, handles great and snow tires aren't that much extra.

Thanks.

It does look very nice indeed. New is a bit beyond me though I think. Damn, I wish I hadn't seen that.

About sticker price, do you often get a chunk OFF it at the dealer? (With other bits to add back on no doubt?)

You know when you see sticker prices of cars, say a new one, are there tons of things to add onto that? Does it end up being a chunk more than the sticker price, if that makes sense?

Ya... the taxes and registration costs and all that stuff adds up a bit but it's fairly reasonable. Even the used cars with the big numbers displayed in the windows end up being a fair bit more for shaken (if not included) and the "seibi" bull$hit they add on.

Sure...you can haggle a bit...but you really have to work it. End of the month seems a good time to buy considering commissions and quotas.. I mentioned before that I walked out of a deal because the salesgirl was a little too eager to get in her commission by the end of the month which is when we were shopping.

Why do walk out? :confused:

Oh to have much more money...........

She was rushing me to sign despite the fact I hadn't decided on a number of options. I got pissed off and told her and her supervisor I was going down the road to the next Nissan dealership. Glad I did as we hooked up with a great salesman. If you are not completely satisfied with the process ..walk...! Find another place.

Yes...Oh to have much more money.....

Plates on it..?? :confused:

I see.

Can someone help me out here. I'm looking and drooling at the Subaru page and it says for audio that there's 4 or 6 speakers. But it doesn't mention CD player or anything else like that. So, is that kind of thing not standard? Same for the carnavi. On the images I can see car navi, but no mention of it on the spec sheet.

http://www.subaru.jp/brz/brz/spec/

It's very unclear.

Just get the crap radio they come with as standard and no navi. Tear out the head unit and throw it away. You will have the wiring harness and the speaker runs to go aftermarket which is better and cheaper than factory audio and navi.

Here's my carnavi/audio question.... presumably, they are all made to the same size, or at least are able to fit into the holes in the cars?

Another question.

Would would get more carnavi for your money if you bought it seperately, compared with buying an official option from the dealer/maker?

You might have difficulty matching up model numbers as the official option books maybe don't say the exact model.

But I am guessing that it would probably save you some buying on kakaku and getting fitted.

Car audio and Navi units come in industry standard 1 DIN or 2 DIN sizes. Every modern car on the planet has a 2 DIN worth of space in the dash. Audio and navi units come in both sizes. Personally, I'd go with a 1 DIN audio head unit and fill the other hole with a utility box. Portable navi's are cheap and good quality. Also, a data plan version of an iPad mini or regular iPad is a good navi unit. I don't think I'd ever buy an in-dash navi unit again.