I would like to hunt. I never did.. but I like the idea of going out and getting my years worth of healthy nature fed meat. Growing up salmon fishing we used to trade fish for game meat with friends. Here in Japan I get the odd kg or two of venison from a few hunters in this area but it's not enough. Also, the scraps are great for the dog...

Some places in Japan will pay you for every deer you shoot. There are no wolves to keep the numbers down any more and the deer are a big problem for farmers.

Yeah they are a problem, as too are monkeys, wild bores, rabbits, foxes, tanukis that we have around here. I got electric fences around my fields, but the buggers sometimes get in anyway and it is not even growing season yet, only just starting to get stuff ready.

Around here every field has electric fences around them because of the problem with animals, so it will be interesting to see how my first year farming in Kobuchizawa goes.

I will have to try something else like barbed wire around the bottom of the fence or something to stop them getting in. Here the monkeys and any animals small enough to get under the fence are the problem more than the bigger ones.

A few of the larger veggie gardens around here have electric fences around them as well... If the number of Tanuki road kill I see everyday are any indication of the overall numbers of animals then they are enjoying a very healthy population.