Some other people may have been watching, tonight there's a programme on tellly here that introduces Japanese women married and living abroad.

Tonight one was living in Miami. Of course they played up the 'every house owns at least one gun' bit and having lots of 'shock effect' fun out of it. The gaijin in the studio were playing it up too.

Must say, it does seem pretty ridiculous that people live like the.

So really, is it normal to be loaded? Or is it just in inner city kind of places? Do grannies in the countryside have a pistol?

I know (and have known) a lot of otherwise sane and liberally progressive thinking yanks who froth at the mouth at the mere hint of gun control....it really shocked me! A few who've lived here a while have mellowed and can see the folly of such a pro-gun stance but when we first met were uber proponents of having a gun, purely for "protection" of course

I think I'd like to have a gun. Not for protection and all that bollocks, but for sports shooting. Like at the range shooting my AK47 and at sports meets shooting my pump action shotgun or at traffic lights with my uzi.

Having guns to use as a sport is good, and I used to shoot guns for that reason, but does everyone really need to carry or have a gun in their house for protection? Can't be much of a fun place to live if people all feel they need a gun for protection.

Canadians have lots o guns, too. I have a .22 rifle, .30-06 rifle and a .357 magnum. Good fun shooting at tin cans and such..."not much good for nothing else, cept puttin a man six feet in a hole".....

One to make little holes, another to make bigger holes from further away....and another to blow the $hit out them with a big bang up close and personal...haha..

Na...the rifles were dad's and the .357 was from a friend of the family who passed away.

• Like 1

We never shot animals, we used to make a target by painting rings onto a 1/2 inch thick board then paint numbers on.

Then my brother, father and I used to take it in turns to hit the target with an air rifle and keep a score sheet.

We would all have the same number of shots, however many that was at the time and who ever got the highest score got to have first shot with the shot gun that my father also had.

Now that is what we really tried hard to score good for so we could be first to blast a chunk out of the target.

Then who had the second highest score would go next. After we all had a go at the target it we would then continue to take turns until the target was no longer, it didn't take long to destroy it.

It was a whole lot of fun and we did this for many years a few times through out the year.

Each time we would make a new target to shoot the crap out of.

I would like to do that now, if I had a gun, I haven't fired a gun since I was last in Vietnam though, and that is like ten years or more ago now.

I fired shot guns, and an AK 47s there.

Haven't fired a gun since I was a kid, skeets and targets. Never hunted animals with a gun, though have slaughtered chickens with an axe. (Yes, they really do run around after their heads are cut off.)

Wouldn't trust myself with a gun now, though -- sharp pencils scare me now.

I would like to hunt. I never did.. but I like the idea of going out and getting my years worth of healthy nature fed meat. Growing up salmon fishing we used to trade fish for game meat with friends. Here in Japan I get the odd kg or two of venison from a few hunters in this area but it's not enough. Also, the scraps are great for the dog...

I would like to hunt. I never did.. but I like the idea of going out and getting my years worth of healthy nature fed meat. Growing up salmon fishing we used to trade fish for game meat with friends. Here in Japan I get the odd kg or two of venison from a few hunters in this area but it's not enough. Also, the scraps are great for the dog...

Some places in Japan will pay you for every deer you shoot. There are no wolves to keep the numbers down any more and the deer are a big problem for farmers.

Our neighbour here gives us deer meat sometimes, they have a friend who is a butcher and always seems to have some spare deer meat.

Until we moved here I hadn't had deer meat for absolutely years, and I like it so was nice to get some. Hopefully we get some more sometime.