• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Wikipedia

, in hiragana, or in katakana, is a nearly obsolete Japanese kana.

It is presumed that ゑ represented [we] (13px-Speaker_Icon.svg.png listen). It is thought that, after ゑ and え came to denote the same pronunciation as イェ [je] (13px-Speaker_Icon.svg.png listen) in the Kamakura period, they came to be pronounced as the modern エ [e][citation needed]; there is also the view that the pronunciation difference between the two kana remained until the Taishō period.

Along with the kana for wi (ゐ in hiragana, ヰ in katakana), this kana became obsolete in 1946 for Japanese, and is now rare in everyday usage; in onomatopoeia or foreign words, the katakana form ウェ (we) is preferred (as, ウェスト for "west"). One modern-day usage of this kana is in the name of the beer Yebisu, which is actually pronounced "Ebisu", and is occasionally written "ヱビス" or "ゑびす". Katakana ヱ is sometimes written with a dakuten, ヹ, to represent a /ve/ sound in foreign words; however, most IMEs lack a convenient way to write this. The combination ヴェ is far more commonly used.

Hiragana ゑ is still used in several Okinawan orthographies for the syllable /we/. In the Ryukyu University system, ゑ is also combined with a small ぃ, ゑぃ/ヱィ, to represent the sound /wi/. Katakana ヱ is used in Ainu for /we/.

Stroke order[edit]

%E3%82%91-bw.png

Stroke order in writing ゑ

215px-%E3%83%B1-bw.png

Stroke order in writing ヱ

You mean you don't have a stock!?!

:veryshocked:

I never have a stock.....I would just drink it all in too short a time. Safer to counter my ravenous thirst for beer with my sloth like laziness :)