Kirin getting into "craft" (ji?) beers?

キリンビールは16日、小規模な醸造所で造る「クラフトビール(地ビール)」事業を始めると発表した。

Spring Valley Brewery

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very Japanese sounding name!

I hope they put pressure on prices. But not put other places out of business. Really think they'd sell much more at more reasonable prices. But what do I know, other than what I'd do.

I think there's a bit of "reassuringly expensive" in there, the way they used to market Stella in the 1980s when it was exotic.

Retail in Japan is increasingly being divided into as cheap as poss or luxury because you are worth it. Its getting harder to sell to the middle.

Was at the craft beer festa last week in Bankei and one of my friends was chatting with some of the Sapporo brewery ppl and they were saying that although there's a push from brew masters to make more craft like beers, as usual the management do t want to do it

Opening day of the Odori beer gardens yesterday.......my favourite time of summer

E22BCBCC-F831-4E7D-BD4C-9159885F154A_zpsosgctehc.jpg

F2D7CE0D-3A1E-4C5C-87C8-6B317544BA6C_zpsqnej1kft.jpg

had a couple of Sapporo Classics in the Sapporo garden then nicked off down to the Otaru Beer garden for a couple of very nice Schwarz beers

It's such a tease... For years there have been no outdoor beer gardens here in Numazu. In the past month two new ones have opened (basically right next to each other). Here's the rub, they are both nomihodai at over 4000¥ for two hours. At those prices you have to do some serious drinking for it to be worth it. I don't want to get shit faced on the patio! I just want to enjoy a couple of beers outside with friends!!

I thought I'd found some Shiga Kogen beer for 200 a can the other day, but it was another ji-biiru sneakily called Shinshuu Kogen, a place that presumably doesn't exist. The beers are actually made by the Yona Yona people and sold at Tsuruya Supermarket.

They're alright, but not particularly distinctive. Not as good as Yona Yona. Or White Belg even.

this may be a silly question but.... Do you find Hokkaido cheaper tubby?

Not really Frannyo.....it is for some things but as wages are lower it kind of makes everything relatively the same cost if that makes sense

I agree with the bottle thing.

Expensive jibiiru in a can just does not appeal. As silly as that quite possibly may be.