• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is actually possible to make pretty good tasting happoshu if you are a home brewer. You only need to have 67% or less of the fermentable ingredients (sugars) in the beer to be malt. That means adding things like dextrose (which most beer makers add) and some other adjuncts like spices will give you a happoshu rather than an actual beer. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the beers that Baird (and other 'micro' brewers) put out are actually classified as happoshu judging by the amount of non-malt ingedients they use.

The reason that most happoshu tastes so filthy is that they have less than 25% malt.

I don't do it in the summer because it's too hot. It's only really worth it if you are into I guess. I mean, considering the outlay you don't save that much money compared to buying it at the store. When I bought the equipment I had a few friends interested in brewing too so we split the price. Now that I've been doing it for a few years I've found sources to get cheaper grain and I actually grow my own hops in the garden which mean a pint costs me about 20-30¥ to make. I've gotten really good at making stouts, porters and IPAs which is pretty much what I would be buying from the shops anyway. I made a lager this year but it takes a super long time to brew... It's a fun hobby but I don't have enough time for it right now!

Is there a lot of beer/fermenting smell involved BM?

Almost none at all. The only part that gives off any real smell is when you are brewing on the stove. Even then it really only smells like baking bread, which is rather pleasant anyway.

The bloke and chick on that page look quite happy.

Obviously, the photos were taken pre-drinking the awful drink that is in the glasses they are holding.

My lady is a teacher and recently she has been to 3 enkais with work.

One for the "new teachers".

One for the "undokai".

One for the PTA.

She particularly wanted to go to... none of them.

Each one was made up of essentially the same people, give or take.

:wakaranai:

Oh yes, all on weekdays.

The thing that gets me most is the fact that you're going to all these parties with the same people, when you don't particularly want to.

Spend all day working with them. Then you have to go out in the evening too.

I feel the Board of Education really don't give a crap about the quality of life or welfare of their teachers. They're like slaves. Don't get me started on the 'live 200km from your family' moving them about nonsense as well.

I'm glad I'm not in that system, but it frustrates me still because of the connection I have with it.