Ski lift makes more electricity than it consumes

A year after the installation of a ‘Photovoltaic Gallery’ at Isskogl in Gerlos, the Austrian resort has reported that the lift generated 27,000 kWh of electricity over the last 12 months, but only used 16,000 kWh itself. This means the lift “overproduced” power by about 70% with the ‘spare’ 9,000 kWh of clean energy fed into the power grid.

The energy collection works by placing photovoltaic panels along the Moving Carpet Gallery enclosure which the company developed in 2001 to protect users from snow, rain, wind, and cold - while offering a clear view of the outside.

For lift operators, the Gallery offers plenty of advantages - particularly allowing quick and easy start up even in the worst weather and snowfall conditions with the carpet lift protected for being buried under the snow.

The 180m long Gerlos lift has 74 solar panels installed on the Gallery enclosure provide a total output of about 18.25 kWp, corresponding to 22,000 kWh per year. kWp means peak kilowatts, and is the unit of measurement for the peak output of solar arrays.

Sunkid CEO Emanuel Wohlfarter now anticipates worldwide demand for the new Sunkid system, due to the quick return on investment costs, as well as the extremely low operating costs.

Dunno how it would fare in Japan due to a lot of cloud cover, snowy days but interesting to see green renewables being developed for the snow industry.

The solar panels would collect the energy during the summer as well so yeah it's a great idea better than nuclear.

The great thing about Germany & Austria is the government incentive to use green energy and they offer very good rebates higher than most countries from what we were told when we were their last.

Australia used to offer excellent rebates and feed in tariffs as well until the conservatives got back in power. Now they seem to be doing everything they can to destroy the renewable energy industry. We used to be pretty good at protecting our forests too but according to the ****wit we now have as PM, loggers are supposedly the "greatest conservationists". Truly a great country to live in.... :shifty:

Australia used to offer excellent rebates and feed in tariffs as well until the conservatives got back in power. Now they seem to be doing everything they can to destroy the renewable energy industry. We used to be pretty good at protecting our forests too but according to the ****wit we now have as PM, loggers are supposedly the "greatest conservationists". Truly a great country to live in.... :shifty:

Give it a rest jerry.

Exactly how many million dollars a day did the previous mob borow in order to make people like yourself happy?

Theres a big bill, and someone has to pay it. Your fairy tale existence is great in theory but the bottom line doesnt add up unfortunately

Please be careful to not be a disgrace to your children's indigious ancestry and the children of Mr Adam Goodes.

If you do, you will need to be is censed and apologise issue.

You'd imagine lots of the ski lifts could clock up a lot of energy in the long summers here.

As did most australians lol.

Responsibility calls from time to time.

Hence why I hate living in this shithole of a country. And responsibility? LOL Responsibility to what? Rupert Murdoch and the other billionaires who got him into power?

Go Native, serious question for once - if you hate it and the people so much, as seems to be.........why don't you move?

Seems a bit silly sausagey to live somewhere you really hate.

You could even go to Niseko.

I heard it has The Most Consistent Snowfall on the Planet! (**Though Not Quite As Much This Year).

:thumbsup:

I think go native could find something to get angry about no matter where he lived.

Dont worry though mate, as soon as the gov works off enough debt your mob will get back in and dig the hole back to where it is now.

Your time will come, and I wont be angry when it does, theres a message in there for you should you choose to see it ;-)

I seem to recall, perhaps mistakenly, that GN has lots of issues with Japanese people and culture.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

So it would probably have to be somewhere like Niseko, on the island of Japan (geographically, at least).

Here in Yamanashi solar panels are going up in several places around the prefecture.

Good for producing clean energy but they look ugly and spoil the countryside.

Some of them got crushed by the snow this year so maybe they will reconsider putting them up around here.

Thing is they are cutting down trees on high spots that get the sun just to put up solar panels and they can easily be seen.

Cant they at least use a piece of waste land that has no trees to destroy.

Its always good to see Ski resorts trying to offset their energy consumption. When you think about it, ski resorts use and produce a massive amount of energy and emissions (Snow guns, lifts, heated lodges, not to mention the infrastructure involved in supplying to remote areas). It would nice to see more Japanese resorts following this lead.