Live in Okinawa, got two weeks from Monday off so can jump on a plane up to Hokkaido without too much notice...any recommendations for scoring the best pow in the next few weeks? Forecast's not looking great around Sapporo and anywhere west of it...was thinking Tomamu or Kamui might be the best bets (looking for somewhere with good slackcountry)?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Well hopefully next weekend is decent around Tomamu cos that's where I'm headed on the Sunday......many thanks to SJ n Tomamu for the free tix

Although this time of year your best not to think of pow.....enjoy the fact you're out on snow and cross ur fingers for a late season surprise

Lads, weather looking potentially good for Thursday/Friday, only concern is the temperatures hovering around freezing...in your experience, does this kind of forecast make for a reasonably safe bet for snow?

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/hokkaido/akaigawa/kiroro-snow-world/snow-weather-reports

Edited by SJ-David
Link adjusted, please do not link to outside websites

MP: yeah, it's an expensive mistake for me if I go and it's raining though...guess I'll wait on the forecasts another couple of days...

TB: judging by the map, Tomamu looks like a wicked resort...think today's the last day they're running all the lifts..

MP: yeah, it's an expensive mistake for me if I go and it's raining though...guess I'll wait on the forecasts another couple of days...

FYI

Today's forecast called for rain up to 850m

Rained earlier this morning, but been light snow since at my place (~ 300 m)

Just starting to stick on the newly uncovered grass :)

Calling for a freezing level above the top lifts in this area for Thursday and Friday.

If they're right, then it's going to rain top to bottom.

If they're wrong, then it's on like Donkey Kong :)

FYI

Today's forecast called for rain up to 850m

Rained earlier this morning, but been light snow since at my place (~ 300 m)

Just starting to stick on the newly uncovered grass :)

Calling for a freezing level above the top lifts in this area for Thursday and Friday.

If they're right, then it's going to rain top to bottom.

If they're wrong, then it's on like Donkey Kong :)

Cheers mate, good to know.

TB: unlucky today mate...the expert powder zone they talk about on their website, presumably that's the grey trails on the map under the main gondola/skier's left of the Tower Express?

Yeah.....that's a no go as well......the whole mountain is ice bound!! If it was sunny today, line it has been the last week or so, then it would've been more fun. Slushy, soft and spring.....but yesterday was sunny....then froze overnight, today was the most horrible concrete conditions everywhere!!

Mike: TBF Mag's pic is true where he was....I've seen the vid!! :)

East of Sapporo, the coverage is getting thin.

This coming weekend at Kiroro could be one for the ages.

A well known snow forecasting site is calling for the freezing level to plummet back down to sea level, and for

11 cm on Friday

50 cm on Saturday