Day 30 March 16th 2014

I also went to this resort courtesy of Snow Japan, so thank you to them!

I went to Suginohara about 4-5 years ago and at that time I was probably only intermediate level at best and really enjoyed the resort, despite the fact that thee weather and snow conditions were not the best.

I skied from the top of the gondola station, which is about 3/4 of the way up and skied the various slopes available from that point, and as it was foggy it was not easy to see.

Well this time the weather was nice and sunny with blue sky and a slight haze, and no wind to speak of.

However the weather quickly changed and by around 10am was starting to snow lightly at the top and when I came down a bit later on it was raining a little at the base.

For the morning visibility stayed ok and although the wind had started to pick up it was not so bad until around lunch time when it got really strong and stayed that way for the rest of the day with the snow getting heavier in the afternoon. It was very wet snow and didn't really start settling until around 2pm in which time it was really coming down and turning anything that was not white, into white quickly, and by now it was also snowing at base and in face by the time I finished around 3:30pm it was starting to settle on the car park at base as well.

Snow conditions from the start were completely rubbish to say the least, with the very top section having compacted hard snow with odd bits of soft here and there, and no powder to be found anywhere, unless you went right off piste where you are not supposed to go, then I guess you could find some.

But at least it was easy to get some decent speed down even the easy slopes.

But once I got about half way down, it was like I was suddenly skiing on glue, my skis didn't want to move.

The temperatures were really warm, even when it snowed it didn't feel cold and first thing in the morning felt like late spring.

It was also obvious that Suginohara hadn't had any snow for at least the past few days and I was surprised to see some brown parts showing through parts of the course here and there.

I was also surprised at what little snow was there compared to other times when I have been in Niigata in winter, actually back in February we had more snow here where I live than Myoko got by the look of it.

Compared to the day before in Madarao the snow here was a real let down.

It is possible to reach the top by first getting the cable car, to the top of the cable car station, ski down and then hop on to a capsule lift which will take you to the top were there is one decently steep course.

One course I did was a 32o angled mogul course which was fun and actually had ok snow, it was at least reasonably soft and was steep enough to be fun, especially as I am pretty crap at moguls anyway. I did this a few times then went onto the 38o angled slope, which is only short once you get to it, but it is nice and steep and would have been better if the snow was softer rather than firmed down snow.

I did this a couple of times, then decided to check out the rest of the resort, which quite honestly didn't take long despite the 8.5k long run from top to bottom.

There are basically just two routes down which courses that branch off of these routes.

The trouble was except for the two top slopes everything else was way to flat so it was not a challenge at all, but it was nice to cruise really long courses and just take in the scenery, while it lasted.

I stopped for an earlyish lunch because I was hungry, and when I went back up the cable car and then skied down to the lift that takes you to the top, it was on wind hold and in fact shortly after they cleared away the chairs into the building and that was that no more going up the top, so I was happy that I decided to explore the top in the morning.

I spent the afternoon on the beginner and intermediate courses as that was all that was possible to access.

Although I really liked this resort the first time I went, this time I soon got fed up actually and with having breaks finished by 3:30.

The long courses are fun to cruise on one or two times and would be better if it was powder and good weather, but that was about it.

The black courses were fun, but there was really not much choice or variation and so it was easy to get fed up at the top as well.

This resort is really fun and a great place for beginners and intermediate level skiers, but anyone above intermediate will soon get bored here quickly, as I did this time. The views in the morning were also really nice and would have been great if the weather had of kept clear as you can see more miles and miles from up the top there.

Maybe if I had of come here first and then Madarao after I may have enjoyed it more, but I think Madarao spoiled me as I had such a good time there.

Although I can have fun skiing anywhere, as I just love to be out on my skis, regardless to weather and snow conditons, terrain, etc and compared to my local this resort is bigger, but I guess my memory of this resort and my recent experience is some what different to before I went there again.

Having been there a second time at my current skiing level, I do not think I would go there again actually, not unless there has been a major dump and the weather is really good, I imagine after a big snow fall it would be love;y to ski and the scenery would be awesome.

Ok here are a few photos I took, the weather put pay to me taking anything after lunch really.

med_gallery_8995_399_2955323.jpg

On the way to the top after existing the cable car

med_gallery_8995_399_2705202.jpg

A view from somewhere a little down from the top

med_gallery_8995_399_2705202.jpg

A view from 2/3 of the way up just after existing the cable car station. This drop off here takes you onto an intermediate slope that connects back to the beginner slope a little further down.

med_gallery_8995_399_3384263.jpg

This is the lift station that takes you to the top

med_gallery_8995_399_72557.jpg

The cable car station

med_gallery_8995_399_3228852.jpg

On the way down somewhere, sorry forget which part this is, but it is fairly close to the top.

med_gallery_8995_399_1732476.jpg

med_gallery_8995_399_2012997.jpg

After existing the top high speed lift 3 this course just after the lift takes you down to the 38o course

med_gallery_8995_399_927660.jpg

The start point for the 38o course

med_gallery_8995_399_146635.jpg

Not sure where I took this one now.

med_gallery_8995_399_1876495.jpg

This is the 32o mogul course, here the snow was not to bad

med_gallery_8995_399_1808995.jpg

This is just off the edge of the top of the 38o course.

med_gallery_8995_399_796650.jpg

On the way down the long beginner course

med_gallery_8995_399_1778554.jpg

On the way down the long beginner course

med_gallery_8995_399_1235467.jpg

Restaurants/rest houses half way down on the right hand side course when looking down from the top

med_gallery_8995_399_1807541.jpg

This was how it was as I was driving around Myoko on my way home.

• SnowJapan Admin

Nice reviews, snowdude.

Could you perhaps post them as Reviews on the main site too plase? An almost copy paste of what you already have would be fine. Tons more people will see those.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Nice reviews, snowdude.

Could you perhaps post them as Reviews on the main site too plase? An almost copy paste of what you already have would be fine. Tons more people will see those.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Reviews posted in the review sections!

Yes I saw that two they seem to close very early.

Even here mu local is open until 8th April I think it is.

Why do they close so early, lack of people in April?

I thought the same when I saw that Hakuba Iwatake had closed last weekend! :wakaranai:

Back to Myoko, shame you didn't get the conditions I had a few weeks previously snowdude. If you like tree runs, I'd definitely recommend giving it another go next season! In any event, thanks for the report and photos! :thumbsup:

Thing is I have been there twice and both times the conditions sucked, maybe I was just unlucky! I would think after a decent powder dump the trees would be good though!