Hi,

Was wondering if you guys could give us some recommendations for beginner skiing slopes near-ish or convenient to tokyo in late April. Was thinking yuzawa area (kagura?) maybe but unsure which slopes we should base ourselves on. Planning to spend 2 nights in the area so accomodation options would be great too. Thanks so much.

Maybe Tashiro side of Kagura?

But you would need to at least already be able to do the snowplow (or falling leaf, if boarders) to be able to get down from the ropeway station to the base area.

(Or does the Dragondola run then?)

The only places open in late April in this area will be Kagura and Gala Yuzawa.

I never feel Kagura is that good for beginners, might be tempted to recommend Gala if not on a busy day. But golden week will....no doubt be busy.

OK, since you are lacking in the common sense department, let me explain in some very simple words and in as least sarcastic a manner as I can.

The OP is from Brunei, looking for some beginner fun. Glean from this that beginner means absolute beginner. Now, suggestions of sending an absolute beginner (probably with his family of young kids and wife) to the upper slopes of Kagura and telling them do their own thing sounds a bit dodgy to me. I would always suggest beginners to get lessons as a priority.

The dude typed in English, not Malay, thus I assumed he's conversant in English. And assuming there are not many Malay speaking ski instructors anywhere in late April, the punter would probably be looking for an English speaking one.

So, using simple logic and very little sarcasm, conclusions of good snow and lessons were reached.

Simples.

he doesn't need to take lessons just cos he's a beginner....I didn't....he didn't ask about lessons so regardless if he's from the lesser explored dark side of the moon, mentioning English lessons are moot going by the original post.....simples

Regardless of lessons, if Onbilly and family are complete novices (can't even snowplow), then I would recommend against Kagura. I saw someone put on skis for the first time at the upper Tashiro ropeway station, and it was not a pretty sight. I tried to teach him and his wife the snowplow just because I felt sorry for them... but they were still sweating bullets and looking down the hill with fright when we finally had to move on...

English lessons, I don't know where those might be found that time of year. Hakuba, perhaps?

Tashiro's ropeway doesn't have a steep slope that I remember.....most of Tashiro is really mellow. The main slope at Kagura's pretty steep though and not good for beginners. The slope down mitsumata to the top of the rope way is ok for beginners but would get boring, pretty fast.....dunno if those areas would be open at that time of year anyway

Tashiro's ropeway doesn't have a steep slope that I remember.....most of Tashiro is really mellow. The main slope at Kagura's pretty steep though and not good for beginners. The slope down mitsumata to the top of the rope way is ok for beginners but would get boring, pretty fast.....dunno if those areas would be open at that time of year anyway

They're open. I have been to those areas in Golden Week, with family members who were barely above the snowplow level. We got around ok, but as I mentioned, a couple we met who had never put on skis before (from Taiwan, I think -- they latched onto me as the only other apparent foreigner in sight), found the slope down from the Tashiro ropeway station debilitatingly terrifying. I can't even imagine how they would have managed the off-ramp for the pair lift back up to the station at the end of the day.

Really, a rank beginner needs something much more gentle to start. Perhaps a conveyor-belt lift or something? Plus lessons.

I know some good places for beginners in this area and Chino area but problem doubt they are open after the first/second week of April.

A good beginners place for a family that might be open in late April is Jigadake just a little down from Hakuba.

Its small easy and a good place for beginners.

Beginners will not get bored of a small place as they normally spend ages just getting down once.

A big resort with steep slopes would just be to daunting for them.

Yuzawa might be good too if it is open they have some nice flat slopes at the bottom.

Wow. Thanks for all the replies! I won't be needing lessons as I have skied green slopes in korea a few times over last couple of years. Just looking for a convenient place to be able to improve a little without being too adventurous. Am not coming with kids or family. Coming with friends who are also beginners but have skied before. Really appreciate all your comments.

Have looked at Tashiro and looks good. Any recommendations for budget accomodation nearby that has some restaurants or bars in the area? How far is Yuzawa town from this slope? Or would Naeba be better? Thanks

Central Yuzawa is about 20 minutes drive away from Tashiro Ropeway which does not have anything really close by.

Naeba will probably be ghost town mode by then.

Here's a map with the resorts plotted on it:

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/town/yuzawa

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-places-to-stay/area/yuzawa-niigata