hi,

last weekend was my first time in deep soft snow. I found that it was quite hard to maintain speed and a lot of the time everything below my knees was below teh snow. It was no doubt my technique that was at fault. I would lean back a little to try to keep the nose up and thus stop teh snow hitting my knees (and slowing me down). But if I leaned back to much this also slowed me down. Is there a correct balance, ie lean back some, but not to much?

Also, would my board be a source of the sluggishness? As far as I know it has no wax on it at all. I weigh about 63kgs, board is 159 long, up to my nose.

hmmm, NO WAX? okashi jyanai desuka?

just keep the back foot down so that your nose isn't diving and you should be right!

with all this money you have been spending you havent had a wax yet? get it done soon!

Hmmm, I think you would notice the lack of wax more on the groomers than the pow. It is possible to put a majority of weight on your back leg while keeping you center of gravity over the board (think pushing down hard on your back leg but leaning forward). This may help you keep your momentum downhill.

I reckon with skiing you need to keep your skis closer together than on groomers because you can hit different stuff that can throw you. Keep your tips up but your weight forward. Imagine squatting more - getting your butt closer to your feet and your shoulders over the front a la Japanese squat toilets and you should be in a good stance. And keep the bouncing going so both feet are more equally weighted.

And be glad that youre on skis and can walk out of most stuff and get your skis back on top when you get stuck.

Ugh, I went boarding yesterday in a whole lot of powder...wet powder. It was raining and lame and yes I definitely noticed the lack of wax more when I hit the wet powder - can you even call it powder? I should say I hit the wet new snow. It is hard work to keep your weight back but your momentum going forward.

How flat/steep was the terrain you were on? the thing with deep powder is you need steeper slopes. It is tempting to see a nice patch of powder and to enter it, but if the slope is not good and you dont have much momentum to begin with, you will find yourself getting bogged down rather quickly.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eriond:
What would be the technique for riding powder for a skier?? I will be going to Powderland - Hokkaido in January, and would like to be prepared \:\)

Eri
Thing with skiis is dont get them sideways and dont do big turns, keep them always pointing down hill and do lots of bouncy turns, like a moguls skiier, thats why moguls are formed in the first place. Look at ski videos and see the pro's doing it, watch them in tandem making figure 8/chain lines. It is tempting when you pick up speed to slow down and get sideways but that is a mistake, keep straight keep turning constantly.

you're right there, don't stop as

a) it is too fun to stop

B) it is a killer getting going again.

I HATE GETTING BOGGED IN POWDER!! As for trying to stand up on a gentle slope in deep powder... almost impossible on a snowboard. As danz, several times over the trip to Hakkoda I was yelling "I hate these impracticle stupid boards! I can't even move my feet, I cant stand up now that I have fallen, I am getting bogged, I have to skate...."

I also set my bindings back. It helped but I think it made controlling speed on hard snow a little harder. Not sure.

db

I like to say keep your balance centered if your sking powder. Its like your whole foot is working the ski. Speed is key for both riding and sking. Powder equals friction. Depending on the type of equipment you use will change the way that you can turn but the balance is the same. With anything though its all practice.

Sit back and relax!

Skiing in powder is the only time you can really ride your tails without getting into too much trouble!

Boarding I understand is about riding the back foot keeping the tip up. Don't try to use your edge type turns and just carve baby!!!

glad this thread is still smokin` as I have been thinking about yer powder dilemna, deebs, and the answer is simple. . .

you need speed - you need to go fast, as fast as you feel comfortable going. if you fall, you won`t hurt yerself (unless you are in the trees, and hit one) so there is really little cause for concern. . . just hit a steep slope, as kamoshika said, lean back, and point it.

another big factor is your board. i forgot what you are riding, but having a board designed for freeriding under you is a big help. my freestyle board lags, but my freeride/powdertail board rips through it.