Ryuoo Ski Park (Yamanouchi, Nagano) - 12th March 2014

When I went there it felt like I was driving into a ghost town. When I got to the base there were people everywhere.

This for sure. The little dwelling area just between the road and Ryuoo is like it's abandoned. Pretty miserable, collapsing buildings, not a person to see. It's only when you get to the skijo itself there are people.

University students sounds about right there were probably quite a few of them.

It definitely seemed 'hip'. Lots of gnarly accents, mad haircuts and attitude flying about in the ropeway queue. Some girls in front of me with blonde hair, huge eyelashes, mad make up comparing their new forearm tattoos in that 'I didn't do it to show people, but I really want to show people' kind of not showing people way.

:lol:

Yes, it was certainly interesting.

It definitely seemed 'hip'. Lots of gnarly accents, mad haircuts and attitude flying about in the ropeway queue. Some girls in front of me with blonde hair, huge eyelashes, mad make up comparing their new forearm tattoos in that 'I didn't do it to show people, but I really want to show people' kind of not showing people way.

:lol:

Yes, it was certainly interesting.

Real tattoos?

Just went to Ryuoo this Saturday. I was able to ride from the top of the ropeway down into the valley and hope back on the next tram up 7 times. Only one time did I miss it and it wasn't due to the crowds I just had some technical difficulties in the trees ;) I wasn't rushing the descent but I was burning down the groomers. The snow was also better than I was expecting. Maybe around 30 -45 cm of fresh on top of a pretty bad ice layer on the descent. The only thing that was messing me up was the ice boulders that had formed from the rainfall which took me a couple of runs to get used to. Overall had a great time!

That's good to hear.

:thumbsup:

Generally how busy was it?

It wasn't that bad. The descending courses were for the most part pretty empty. Even the valley wasn't that bad. I think you may have hit the blackbox (5,900 yen for room two meals and lift ticket), ladies day, college school holiday trifecta.