Hi all

I’m lawrence and have bought my airtickets, arriving Hokkaido on !6 March 2014. My wife, 2 kids (aged 11 and 8) and I are planning to ski for the first time. I am considering either Hoshino Tomamu Resort or Rusutsu Resort. Based on the weather forecast for these 2 areas, please let me know which area is preferred for skiing in my circumstances, for the period 16 March to 20 March 2014. Thanks.

Have never looked at them with families in mind but I'd agree with goz given the time he's spent at Rusutsu and the fact that it has an amusement park nextdoor and a merry-go-round/carousel behind the front desk!

• Like 1

The amusement park won't be open tho. FWIW Tomamu has a big swimming pool for those days the kids are tired of snow. The hotel there always has some craft activities for kids as well.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the helpful guidance and tips :friend: Can you please take a look at the weather forecast links below and let me know whether the Rusutsu weather forecast is likely good for beginners' skiing? There appears to be more snowfall forecast for Tomamu Hoshino than Rusutsu Resort for the period 16 March 2014 to 20 March 2014. Or is it not significant to make any real difference pls? Thanks.

Rusutsu: http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/hokkaido/rusutsu/rusutsu-resort/snow-weather-reports

Tomamu: http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/hokkaido/shimukappu/hoshino-resort-tomamu/snow-weather-reports

Hey Lawrence

Don't worry about the snow you want sun there is heaps of snow on the piste

Never been to Tomanu but Rusutsu is closer and has lots for the kids to do

• Like 1

Thanks again :friend: Which is preferred, the Rusutsu North Wing, South Wing or Tower pls? Am I correct to say that the Rusutsu North/South Wing is more convenient as it is next to the skiing slopes but the Rusutsu Tower is newer?

South is prob slightly closer to the shops and restaurants. North a little further away (but I think u don't get to decide which you're in!) never stayed at the tower but looks expensive and a real trek from the main building. Definately don't stay at the Highland hotel!!! (Great for cheap people like me, not so great for a family wanting any kind of comfort!)

• Like 1

Kiroro Resort. Hotel Piano. :thumbsup: Ski academy for beginners and kids.

Then after that, pop into Otaru for some excellent sushi and lots of sight seeing and souvenir glass n stuff. Then hop on the train to Sapporo for a massive crab feast. (Not chili crab, but grilled to perfection).

• Like 1

Hi all, thanks for your replies again. I checked out Kiroro resort and this may be be a good idea the next time I visit Hokkaido with more time on my hands.

I was about to book Rusutsu and checked the weather again. Seems like the weather is turning warm and may go up to 1 to 2 degrees celsius around 17 March 2014, with clear skies. Does this affect the skiing for beginners at the low slopes pls? Thanks.

Thanks, guys I wasn’t aware that slightly warm temp is preferred for beginners. I obtained the following forecast for March 18 to March 20:

Days 7-9 Weather Summary: Days 7-9 Weather Summary: Light rain (total 2.0mm) at first, then becoming colder with a dusting of snow on Wed morning. Freeze-thaw conditions (max 4°C on Tue morning, min -4°C on Wed afternoon). Winds increasing (light winds from the NNW on Wed afternoon, fresh winds from the W by Thu night).

Is the above ok?

Am I correct to look at the 400 m altitude level for Rusutsu Resort for beginners pls? http://www.snowjapan.../rusutsu-resort

Lawrence, I can understand your concern but you need to chill and zoom out on the fine fine details. And enjoy it!

:thumbsup:

Thanks :) just that I couldn't help comparing the weather for Tomamu and am not sure which is preferred :) The same period for Tomamu: Days 7-9 Weather Summary: A dusting of new snow. Freeze-thaw conditions (max 2°C on Tue afternoon, min -6°C on Thu afternoon). Winds decreasing (fresh winds from the SW on Tue morning, light winds from the W by Wed night).

Its not that its preferred, it just makes it less cold for newbies to be out all day in. Sometimes if you don't have the buzz for something, trying to power through a bone chilling day just deflates any enthusiasm you may have. as Tokabochi says, chill out. This close to the dates, you don't need to be worrying about the weather. There is plenty snow at both resorts.....thats really all beginners need. If you were hoping for uber powder conditions then I could understand your close studying of the weather. Dont worry about it, just choose a resort and have fun :D

Tomamu is pretty expensive for dining options IIRC, at least with Rusutsu there are a couple of outside izakaya's to choose from if your meals aren't included in your deal. (They may be included in your deal at Tomamu as well tho)

• Like 1

Its not that its preferred, it just makes it less cold for newbies to be out all day in. Sometimes if you don't have the buzz for something, trying to power through a bone chilling day just deflates any enthusiasm you may have. as Tokabochi says, chill out. This close to the dates, you don't need to be worrying about the weather. There is plenty snow at both resorts.....thats really all beginners need. If you were hoping for uber powder conditions then I could understand your close studying of the weather. Dont worry about it, just choose a resort and have fun :D

Tomamu is pretty expensive for dining options IIRC, at least with Rusutsu there are a couple of outside izakaya's to choose from if your meals aren't included in your deal. (They may be included in your deal at Tomamu as well tho)

Thanks TubbyBeaverinho, yes I like the walking to the nearby izakayas rather than just hotel food, and also Goz's recommendation that the layout in Rusutsu is better... btw, Tomamu Hoshino is having a 3 night promotion now such that the rates incl dinner vouchers are only slightly more expensive than Rusutsu resort's rates without dinner ...