So the plan today was to get a morning in at Maiko (done!) then head over to the Wadagoya Mountain Hut at Kagura before the gondola closes. I knew the top lifts would be shut there today because of the high winds, which means there'll be plenty of untracked pow to play in on Tuesday, and staying there gives you first tracks in all that loveliness!! The trouble is that tomorrow's forecast is also now saying 40-45 km/h up top.

So do I gamble and stay there, with the possibility of more lift closures, or go spend another (cheaper) night at Yuzawa Kenkouland (which actually wasn't bad) then hit up another resort tomorrow, knowing that everywhere's going to be good? If the latter, I'm thinking about Gala, then I could treat myself to an unreserved shink seat home!

What say you?

The latest local forecast seems to be less wind and snow tomorrow, though it might still be gamble.

Gala gets good snow and is usually very manageable weekdays without the crowds. So I'd go there and have a Gala-tastic day. There's probably lots of me not loving all the Kagura faffing about that is required talking there though.

A shame that Mt Granview isn't open again today.

If there is fresh everywhere, perhaps not worth the risk with Kagura. Then again... first tracks in the morning of a day after a closure at Kagura. That is is pretty damn tempting.

Sorry, I am not really helping you make a decision, am I?

It seems your luck has been good so far this trip... scored a lift up, got saiko conditions at saiko Mt. Granview and a deep morning at Maiko... definitely on a bit of a hot streak but can you ride that luck all the way to the top of the number 5 romance lift?

Hmmm I think people can complain about Gala as being narrow and crazy busy at weekends, but flat? Flat isn't a word I'd associated with Gala - there's the main north run that is anything but and also the top run itself. They are hardly flat. The main runs are not the steepest pitch but they're not run out flat courses either.

I wouldn't say flat either but if not for the south section, I wouldn't go. It's got (had) lots of park features if that's ur thing, it's not mines. Don't know anything of any off piste lines either. I'd stay in kags and hit that untracked uber pow

....if it's open.

The forecast hadn't changed or been updated so I decided to head back to Yuzawa Kenkouland (via the ATM), where I'm now enjoying a maguro-don (buri) in the tatami tv lounge :-) As for tomorrow, I'll see what the forecast says when I wake up and take it from there, either Kagura if the wind's not too bad or Gala, hoping that the Southern area's open. In any case it's still snowing outside and the forecast is for more tonight but clearer skies tomorriw so hopefully it'll be a good one!

Good morning from Paradise Alley! Looking out the window up to the Gala station I can see both fresh snow and a bit of blue sky. The wind forecast hasn't yet changed so am debating whether to get myself to Echigo-Yuzawa station and wait for more news on Kagura or just get myself up to Gala!

Didn't know by the time I headed up the hill to Gala!! No complaints though, as the Southern Area was open with knee-deep powder and clear skies :-)

Am now back in Kanagawa uploading photos!

So without further ado, and to tie this one up, here are some photos and my review of Gala, not Kagura! :D

1. Limbering up!

mick%20rich_321.jpg

2. Waiting for the Southern Area to open.

mick%20rich_322.jpg

3. View of the lower parts of the $2,600,000 course in the Southern Area.

mick%20rich_323.jpg

4. The Bronco course in the Southern Area.

mick%20rich_324.jpg

5. More of the Bronco course.

mick%20rich_325.jpg

6. The Waggonette pair lift that services the Southern Area.

mick%20rich_326.jpg

7. Cheesy snapshot!

mick%20rich_327.jpg

8. Lift line!

mick%20rich_329.jpg

9. Part of Paradise Alley.

mick%20rich_330.jpg

& here's the review link:- http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resort-reviews/detail/2031

Thanks guys!

Mick :thumbsup:

South Area looks good.

Pity its a slower lift now post-quake.

Do you mean that they just run it slower or did they replace something faster? Not meaning to be funny GG, just don't know!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I missed this.

There used to be a quad lift there where there is now a pair lift servicing the South Area.

After the Chuetsu Earthquake in 2004, the South Area was closed for a few years. When it eventually re-opened, it was a pair lift there. I don't know if the quad was actually broken or not, heard a few stories, but for whatever reason they took it out and put a pair in it's place.

On the day I went there were no lines for the pair, though I guess it would get busier at the weekend. In any case, thanks for the info Muika! :thumbsup:

When I have been there the South area has been quiet. I reckon lots of people are scared off and/or some don't even know about it as it's not the clearest place to get to.

A quad was probably above what they needed.