Finally got a backup date on going to Hakkoda, which is this Friday. I'm going with a local friend who skis and has been to Hakkoda a few times. Beyond telling me to "dress warm" he didn't include any other gear that may be required.

I'm under the impression that I need to have an avi beacon with me when I go out, but I don't remember where I read that. I think they rent them at the base but want to know what to expect before hand.

In a perfect world, I'd bring snowshoes and poles among other gear, but I don't think I can get them last minute, and we aren't going to do any off piste my first day there.

Was looking for some insight from others who have been there to know what to expect. He's timed this trip in line with watching the weather forecasts, but you know how mountains can surprise you in the end.

Are you just going a little off-piste or do you intend on really heading out into the side/backcountry? If you're heading out then a beacon, probe and shovel are a must I'd think. If things turn to whiteout whilst you're out beyond the resort (hardly uncommon up on Hakkoda) a GPS and/or map and compass would be very handy (and of course know how to use them). Obviously something to drink and eat and an extra fleece or something similar to help keep warm if you do find yourself stranded for some reason. I find my normal gloves can get quite sweaty if I'm exerting myself going uphill so I like to have a lighter pair of gloves for bigger ascents and my thicker gloves for the descents.

I plan on bringing some calorie mates and a bottle of water, extra pair of gloves, and a space blanket, besides my normal gear of a towel, UL Down jacket, screwdriver and camera. Just wasn't sure if I wouldn't be allowed on the gondola without a beacon. Believe me, i definitely WANT one, but given the conditions I normally ride in up here, it's not on my must needs buy list.

I'm pretty sure we're just going to ride down the 3 standard courses, as I'm not even sure how confident I'll be in the deep powder my first time, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, Thanks!