I was wondering if somebody can help me out. I'm looking for a place that will tune the edges of my board. I had a wander in Ochanomizu today and there were a few places that will do a tune for 6000 to 9000 yen. Are there places that SJers have used before and recommend? I would do it myself, but I'm scared I will mess it up and take too much off.

You'd do well to save some money buy buying your own edger and looking up a few tutorial videos. 6000 sounds to expensive alone. I think you can pick one up for about 3000. The edgers have angles set in so it's not a very hard job to do. But if you don't have the time or the equipment available, I suppose you could trust them for the job. Sorry I don't know of any places around there though.

6000-9000¥!!!! :omg:

Does your board have like 20 edges of something? Buy a swix edger for like 2000-2500¥. It super easy and straight forward but if you are worried there are tutorials on youtube. It's a 5 minute job. The bonus of doing it yourself is that you'll have the tool for future use.

6000-9000¥!!!! :omg:

Does your board have like 20 edges of something? Buy a swix edger for like 2000-2500¥. It super easy and straight forward but if you are worried there are tutorials on youtube. It's a 5 minute job. The bonus of doing it yourself is that you'll have the tool for future use.

Yeh, I thought it was a bit extravagant myself but apparently they sand down the base too to remove scratches but I don't really need that at all, just need to get the edges done as the board I'm currently riding is 10 years old. I'm going to have a look into doing it myself. Thanks guys.

the place I'm looking to get a full tune up after the season ends is about 6,300. That's a clean, edge deburr and sharpen, superficial p-tex fixes, hot wax, stone grind and structure - though I'll just ask them to leave the wax on at the end for storage's sake.

It's in Ochanomizu, probably one of the places you've seen.

don't trust myself to do it properly and save the stick from rusting etc.

Get your self a file or an edge tuner and do it yourself.

I use a file and my edges takes about 20-30 mins to sharpen then up. Im refering to skis though not a board do as you only have two edges I reckon half the time.

If your not sure watch some youtube vids or edge tuning and if you have an old board or ski you can practice on first that would be good.

Basically you need to file the edge at anything beteen 2-5oC to sharpen the edge and should do it in sections of about 12 inches or so making sure to overlap each time.

Then look down the edge to see if you got it even.

Use your nail to check for sharpness.

Unless you want to ruin your board don't get a file and look down the edge to see if you got it even. You need a dedicated tool. There is no way you can see if you properly filed the 1 or 2 degrees necessary to sharpen the edges. Snowdude's advice may work on a knife or a chainsaw but not on a snowboard or skis.

I never had any problem with it doing it like that.

If you get the tool for it it is easier but a file will work just fine. I have been doing like that for ages and those who has seen my edges which is quite a few have all commented on how good I got them.

What's tha name of that place Peetan? & I'm intrigued, what's the 10 year old board?

Was it the Fuso boardshop Peetan?

And the board is a 2004 Burton T6. Still rides awesome.

Sorry, I'm terrible with names (as anyone who saw me talk about the 'Joetsu' expressway can testify), but I'll find the place at work, as street view doesn't work on an iPhone (apparently- I could be wrong).

Ah, found it - it's the Sports Paradise shop that's opposite starbucks on Yasukuni dori, just by the Meiji Daigaku junction. English speaking staff too, if you need it. Or even if you don't, as one of the staff had a panic attack even after I spoke to him in (in my humble opinion) pretty standard Japanese and threw the poor international staff member my way, who then gave me a knowing apologetic look.

Mind you, there are quite a few that will now be revising down their prices because of the end of the season. See what you can get! I'd avoid the major chain stores though, they have a long turnaround and aren't exactly value for money.

Thanks for the info guys. I've watched a few videos now and I'm confident about the doing the side edges but doing the base edge scares the crap out of me. Any tips for the doing the base edge?

I'm still thinking about taking it into a shop. I'm guessing its going to be in safer hands with someone who does it day in and day out.

On a similar topic, anyone know or recommend board tuning places in Hakuba?

I haven't been to Hakuba in over ten years but I there were a few shops around the place. I remember staying at Snowbeds and finding a shop close to there. Of course, there will be places right next to the hill but I'm pretty sure they're going to be pricier than the smaller shops in the town.

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Went to the Tokyo shops yesterday on the look out for some new boot insoles (and to check out the end-of-season sales :D) and noticed that One Make (where I bought my boots) have moved to bigger premises across the road and their old place is now a "Tune Up Shop", with a guy out front working on boards, almost on the pavement. Picked up a leaflet with details and prices but haven't decoded it yet! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I went and checked out that One Make place, they will do a stone grind and structure for 3000 yen. After a bit of poking around, I've realised that tuning the the base edge is normally not done because the grind normally does it at 90 degrees. The owner of the Switch shop a little further down was nice and honest, he said do the edges yourself and use us for the stone grind because we have the machine for it so that's what I'm planning on doing. Thanks for the help everybody.

My board is now a very dirty Bertie after playing around in melt for the last ride out. So, the question is should I blast the base with cleaner and get it spotless before handing it over to the tuning guys, or will they take care of it for me? Or it is just plain etiquette?

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt but since they're going to be taking a layer off with the base grind anyway, its probably not needed. I remember having a base grind done on a board at the snowboard shop in Ueda, Nagano and it was still waxed. I don't think it will make any difference to the stone grind machine.

• 5 months later...

Nice one! Let us know how you get on.

rirt02.jpg

So, finally after a lot of back and forth, I invested in a work bench with a vise, an edge sharpener and gummi stone, I took the plunge and tried sharpening the edges on my own. Very easy, took no time at all and I'm pleased with the result. Thanks everybody who took the time to help me out.