So with a forecast of another decent amount of snowfall on Sunday night, I'm planning a short trip to Paradise Alley, aka the resorts in and around Yuzawa. Factors to consider are the forecast high winds and the ever-present financial constraints, though this may be the last chance I have to get some powder action this season so I'm kind of flexible on the latter! :D

With the above in mind, this is my current train of thought:-

Option 1 - A 3-day trip to Granview, Maiko and Kagura/Naeba

This would mean travelling up by train tomorrow morning (non-shink to save money), allowing me to hit the hallowed Granview slopes by mid-afternoon and staying at Yuzawa Kenkouland (the cheap, overnight onsen place just below Gala) on Sunday night. I would then hit Maiko on Monday morning (forecast to get plenty of snow and less of the strong winds than other resorts) before heading over to Mitsumata after lunch to get up to the Wadagoya mountain hut at the top of the Kagura gondola. Kagura is forecast to gets lots of snow (and wind) on Sunday night and through Monday, so I reckon the top lifts will be closed on Monday but hopefully open on Tuesday, giving me first tracks. If that plan/gamble fails and they're still closed on Tuesday, I think Naeba (the Wadagoya ticket covers both resorts) will still be open, being less susceptible to wind-problems! I will therefore ride Kagura and/or Naeba on Tuesday before getting the train back to Tokyo.

Advantages:- I finally get to ride Granview, albeit only for a couple of hours.

Disadvantages:- Sunday (tomorrow) will be a long day; it's going to cost an extra 6,000Yen (when you factor in the extra overnighter) for those couple of hours of Granview action!

Option 2 - A 2-day trip to Maiko and Kagura/Naeba

This means getting the early Monday morning shink up to Echigo-Yuzawa then the shuttle bus to Maiko, and thereafter following the same plan as above.

Advantages:- A relaxing Sunday at home; an extra night in my own bed; 6,000Yen cheaper.

Disadvantages:- A 5am start, no Granview!!

So, to G or not to G, that is the question??? :confused:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on now, you'll seriously not going to chicken out of a chance to sample the legendary Mt Granview again are you?!? Surely no!

:slap:

You know what the right thing to do is. Get some cheese and get up there!

Mick.

You owe it to yourself, to us, to the lucky cheese that will go, to Mr Shinzo Abe, to the staff of Mt Granview and to everyone else who would read your review.... to go to Mt Granview.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't regret it.

Mick, you still reading this? How about option three. I'm driving up tomorrow. Leaving Totsuka about 6:00. You are welcome to come along, will get more time at the mighty Mt G, and save some money :-)

Was sorting out all my kit post-Myoko, pre-Yuzawa!! :D

Option 3 sounds flippin' good onehunga!! Where are you going tomorrow? & where's Totsuka? I'm on the outskirts of Kawasaki, but just as near Tokyo near route 246/on the Denentoshi Line! :thumbsup:

Edit 1: If that's Totsuka-ku, Yokohama, we're 32km/30 mins apart according to the SJ Route Finder!!

Edit 2: Of course it goes without saying that I'd pay towards petrol, etc.

Was sorting out all my kit post-Myoko, pre-Yuzawa!! :D

Option 3 sounds flippin' good onehunga!! Where are you going tomorrow? & where's Totsuka? I'm on the outskirts of Kawasaki, but just as near Tokyo near route 246/on the Denentoshi Line! :thumbsup:

Edit 1: If that's Totsuka-ku, Yokohama, we're 32km/30 mins apart according to the SJ Route Finder!!

Edit 2: Of course it goes without saying that I'd pay towards petrol, etc.

Yes it's Totsuka-ku, Yokohama.

Is there somewhere near you that is easy to find, ie a place with a phone number I can put into the Navi system.

Not 100% sure where I want to go, just want to go. Wouldn't mind spending the morning at Mt G and the afternoon somewhere bigger.

Of course! :thumbsup:

onehunga, I live near Nicole BMW (a BMW dealership), whose details are:- 〒216-0003,神奈川県, 川崎市, 宮前区, 有馬3-2-1 - Tel:044-870-8500. [the kanji reads Kanagawa-ken, Kawasaki-shi, Miyamae-ku, Arima 3-2-1]

I'm sure Tubby would've been up for it if he hadn't moved to Sapporo!! :doh:

Forgot to mention that Nicole BMW is right nextdoor to a large McDonalds (they're either side of a junction), which is easy to pull into, drive-thru, etc, so that would be the ideal place to meet! :thumbsup: & it's only 5 mins walk away from my place, even with a snowboard bag!

I hope to leave here between 5:45 and 6:00, arrive at McD's between 6:15 and 6:30.

I'll post time I leave in this thread so you don't have to wait around too long.

I'm driving a black Subaru Impressa Sport, with a black roof box.

Off to bed now, see you in the morning.