Two of us are arriving in Hokkaido on March 22nd to do some ski touring for 8 days. We are interested in the Asahidake and Kurodake. I would appreciate any advice on staying / skiing in those two places from other backcountry / ski touring people who have been there. If you were going there, where would you ski? I suppose we could do both, but that takes travel time.

Also, any thoughts on Tokachidake as a ski touring destination would be great to here.

--scott

I would suggest Asahidake over Kurodake if you were to choose one place. There's far more accessible terrain around Asahidake than over at Kurodake. Tokacchidake though would be the best of them all I reckon. Lots of great touring there.

Can't comment on the ski touring--- but if you stay around Asahikawa you could easily do both/all… bout an 1 hour drive to Asahidake and Kurodake from there.

Obviously this requires a car, but you'd have a lot more to do in the evening (e.g. restaurant choice) if that's important to you.

There isn't a whole lot at the base of Asahidake. A few onsen hotels is about it. There is a bit more at the base or Kurodake - but again it's pretty much all onsen hotel and a seico mart.