Alright, I can't do the English teaching thing anymore! It's driving me bonkers and it's only been six months! Is there anyone who started their own business here in Nihon? If so, could you point out anything to be aware of? I want/need to make the mountains my office and ditch this cubicle. AHHHHHHH! I'm looking at starting a hiking tour / photo tour business.

If so, could you point out anything to be aware of?

Probably.... the total evaporation of your free time; the costs involved; the fun of all the legal stuff; much more effort than you anticipate.

Don't let that put you off though!

;)

Let me rephrase that. Could you point out anything to be aware of that is uniquely Japanese? I'm looking for any firsthand experiences/advice that foreigners who have started a business here might have.

My biggest problem and this is doing something very small scale, was/is not understanding everything. My Japanese is pretty good, but still things like tax and all the legal 'faffing about' that is needed all the time - I'll never understand it properly to be at ease with it all. I have no experience anywhere else so can't compare, but I'm pretty sure that it would be easier doing it in your own language.

Being a native english speaker can be a big help if you are looking at an english speaking customer base, ie tourists.

There are some gaijin ski guiding businesses that are doing very well for example, as much as I hate them lol.

You could also buy a pension or something like that?

The mountains are the perfect office, if you can live that lifestyle and make enough money to eat and enjoy the snow then you are one of the richest people on earth IMO

That is one of my concerns. My Japanese isn't all that great. I need my wife to handle our adventures to city hall. I would be lost without her I'm afraid. I wonder if a partnership with a native speaker might be worthwhile. Thanks for your reply by the way.

I have a few friends who have done things.

Muzukashii desu ne.

If you are lucky you can perhaps keep doing what you love - and keep loving it - and not be overwhelmed by the business side of it and the pressures. Each of my friends all say they underestimated that side of things and frustrated by the necessary Japanese related stuff going on.

The problem is that there's usually no 'off switch'.

Obviously most of that all applies everywhere.

Being tax savvy is a big help....My wife handles all that stuff very well and is able to claim everything towards the business. She even claims one business on another..... :party:

Being a native english speaker can be a big help if you are looking at an english speaking customer base, ie tourists.

This would be my target market, at least until my Japanese improves.

The mountains are the perfect office, if you can live that lifestyle and make enough money to eat and enjoy the snow then you are one of the richest people on earth IMO

Exactly! Well said!

Why do you hate the gaijin run ski tours?

There isn't much (for freelancers, any?) legal faffing about if you just operate as a kojin jugyo and file your taxes on the white form. If your takings are under 10 million, you don't have to worry about the consumption tax either.

Some things can be much more difficult in the UK. VAT for example. You can also get into bother if you live in certain areas and try to run a business out of an ordinary house.

There is lots of faffing about if you want to incorporate, though it's often not essential. Corporation tax is also massive, should your business turn a profit. If you're a shareholder, you can't just award yourself a performance related bonus to avoid it either.

Not jealousy. I hate them because they take a pack of noobs down the best parts of the mountain and then its wrecked till next snow.

Local knowledge used to be earned, now it is bought. End rant lol.

I work for myself (G.A) but I havent registered a business name in Japan because of the legal papers and shit thats needed.

I file my own tax returns and claim as much back as possible as business expenses which is a lot actually.

As well as farming in summer I do proofreading freelance throughout the year and have also recently started my own outdoor hiking', skiing climbing business again freelance it saves the hassle of all the form filling.

Unless you have a seperate building intended primarily for business there is no need to set up a business.

Just get yourself a website use FB and other social media to spread the word about as well as fliers if its local people your targeting and work from there.

In the future if yu feel you feel you need to turn it into an official business then you can do so.

Do something where people pay up front.

Nothing worse than having to chase up payments.

It's depressing and gets you angry.

I am 7 years into running my business and totally agree with this comment

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes!

Actually, today I am chasing up on a number of people who are over 6 months overdue with their payment, and a few of them have been reminded a number of times already.

It is a really horrible thing to have to do.

My wife just got through a lengthy and costly court case trying to wrangle payments from deadbeats... We definitely lost on that one despite the official "win".